cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setp up firewall on BT Business Hub (2700HG-V)

mapletree
Grafter

How to setp up firewall on BT Business Hub (2700HG-V)

I am tearing my hair out trying to set up the 2700HG-V firewall (firmware 5.29.117.6) to allow me to use ssh and Cisco VPN client (ipsec).  Going to "firewall" -> "Firewall Settings" allows you to set up incoming rules (i.e. port forwarding) which is not what I want.
Going to "Advanced Settings" it lists a few services in the "Outbound control" but no indication on how to allow other outbound ports.  There is one button which is labelled "All other protocols" but I can find no explanation of what this does.
4 REPLIES 4
MrC
Grafter

Re: How to setp up firewall on BT Business Hub (2700HG-V)

I can't find a manual for the 2700hgv anywhere but most stateful firewalls allow all outbound connections by default and only require rules setting up to allow connections initiated from outside - have you tried connecting to your external ssh/vpn server(s)?
mapletree
Grafter

I don't want to allow all outbound connections.  All the firewalls I have used before allow you to set up rules for incoming and outgoing connections.  Checking "all other protocols" does allow ssh but I want to disable some outgoing ports like I usually do.
MrC
Grafter

Having had a look at a manual on the 2-wire site, and assuming the 2700hgv is similar, it looks like this might not be possible Sad
Unless someone else can come up with any other ideas you may have to look at using another router (either as a replacement or used in-line) that gives a finer grained control over it's firewall.
mapletree
Grafter

Trouble is one router works best for some things and worse for others.  I am using the 2700HGV because it gives a better DSL performance.  The zyxel has a better firewall but less stable SNR.  I wonder if there is a router that would do everything I want Undecided