cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up 2 modem/routers to increase wireless range?

njek

How to set up 2 modem/routers to increase wireless range?

I wish to extend the range of my wireless network.  I am currently using a Netgear DG834GT modem/router, and also have a spare Thomson TG585v7 modem/router.
Is it possible to link the 2 together, so that I can have 1 at either end of my house?
I have googled this, and came across the following info, but am unsure whether/how this would apply to the 2 specific modem/routers I have?
Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.
Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.
Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.
Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.
Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

Is anyone able to assist me?
10 REPLIES 10
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: How to set up 2 modem/routers to increase wireless range?

That sounds pretty much how I'd do it but I'd be tempted to set up different SSIDs on different channels.
njek

Thanks for the reply Smiley
A second possibility has come about, as a result of a bit more googling...the possible use of WDS. My DG834GT is flashed with the latest DGTeam firmware, which enables WDS, and I know the TG585v7 also supports WDS. However, I know nothing more about how to set this up Sad
Any further ideas?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

A second possibility has come about, as a result of a bit more googling...the possible use of WDS

I suspect you'll have to get into the CLI on the 585 to access the wds config.
It's got to be worth a try instead of cabling the 2 together BUT be prepared to be disappointed as it may not work.
You will need to convince the 585 that it is in effect just an access point and that may not be possible.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

samuria
Grafter

Joining the two may give you routing problems as pc's on the second router may have trouble finding the default gateway
njek

I now have the Netgear and Thomson connected, by wire, and all seems to be OK so far.
All I did was turn off DHCP on the Thomson, and connect them. Couldn't work out how to change internal IP of Thomson, but it seems I didn't have to. I now have 2 wireless networks, connected by wire, with only 1 dsl connection, and I'm happy for now.
scootie
Grafter

WDS
i tried this with dg834g and an o2 speedtouch. To find it  halfs the thoughput of your wireless network
njek

Yup, I was aware of this - however, it was only going to be a short-term fix, so I was going to live with it. In the end however, I have ended up with no WDS, and so am a happy bunny!
njek

Just got one question though folks... Why can I no longer wirelessly access the Thomson router's config screen? As previously mentioned, I was unable to change the internal IP address, so presume it is still 192.168.1.254, but cannot access it - am I missing something here?
Also...just something that is bugging my OCD...since I have been messing around so much with the different wireless networks, I have now ended up with a connection titled 'PlusnetWireless 4' - how do I remove the 4 from the end? (A very anal question I know!)
scootie
Grafter

have you set it have a static ip address or is the other router acting as dhcp.
you need find what ip address it has
i would follow this bit so its ip address is allways the same
Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

njek

I found the Thomson config screen so much less user-friendly than that of my Netgear, and was unable to change the internal IP from what it initially was. All I changed on the screen was to turn off DHCP.
How can I find out what its IP is? It doesn't appear in the 'Attached Devices' of my Netgear, and, when connected wirelessly to it, the default gateway and IP of my laptop relate to my Netgear, not the Thomson. Will I just have to connect by ethernet, and configure that way?
I am still none the wiser about how to change the IP of the Thomson - when I initially tried, I pressed apply, the config screen was lost, and I was unable to access it again on either the old IP or the new IP Shocked  There is another question on the forum (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=71014.0) asking the same, but it seems the OP sorted it, but didn't let anyone in on the secret Huh