cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to record a sound file from the radio

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to record a sound file from the radio

[quote=shutter]I want to record some noise !
What sort of noise ? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise
I'm sure 'RPMozley' probably has some unwanted 'Dido' recordings  Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I cannot find a way to record sound with VLC....  Undecided
The "noise" I want to record, is the background noise on my short wave receiver, whilst trying to copy a very very very very very weak morse signal from the USA.
I have checked out the linky`s you gave, but the soundrecorder still does not produce any sound.
I can get a display on my screen of the noise, and other signals, from the record socket on the radio via the mic input and the aforementioned double ended jack line. so I know the system works ... just not with the soundrecorder of windows...
(going out now for a couple of hours - catch you later ! ! )

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Oh purleigh, to have the Audacity to say Dido's music was noise. Well I'm, Very Likely to Conclude, that whatever your listening to is noise to me.  Crazy
Anyway, on a serious note I did find her latest (3rd) album to be a big disappointment. I've only actually heard a few tracks of it but I can't bring myself to listen to the rest of it (don't want to disappoint myself even more).
I suppose those count as 'unwanted recordings'?  Grin
That's RPM to you!!
shutter
Community Veteran

Sorry to break up the chit chat about Dido... Lovely looking warship that..... Roll_eyes
Have just tried to record using A Tube Catcher.... and get the same problem.... the slider moves along, but no sound recorded.
Vip3r
Grafter

Shutter, I don't have Vista so I can't step you through it, but can you check that the Mic is selected as the RECORDING device and the volume is turned up (might be worth putting it rigth to the top) this is on a different screen to where you normally set the playback volume for the device.
I know in Windows 7 (so might be the same in Vista) each application can have its own audio settings, set in the control panel, and again check that its the recording settings that you are looking at rather than the playback settings.
Have a look at the pictures in point 2 on this page: http://www.bandicam.com/faqs/how_to_record_voice_from_microphone/
for some idea as to what you are looking for.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the advice about the volume, etc... have done all that.... as I said before, I have another program that I use to view the sound and signals from the radio, on the laptop screen, so I know the input is getting to the soundcard and producing the image on the screen.....
actually, kmilburn suggested using Audacity..... and I had the Audacity to turn it down as being too much bells and whistles, for what I wanted.... however, I had the audacity to download it and install it, and it had the audacity to work straight out of the download !...
so don`t know why the others won`t produce any sound whatever.... !....
In short, never be have the audacity to give short shrift to any suggestions ! ! ! ...
my apologies to kmilburn,... and also my thanks..... of course that goes to all those who chipped in....
kmilburn
Grafter

No problem,  and your welcome...
Audacity does have a lot of power and probably is overkill,  but it does at least make the simple jobs easy!