Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to record a sound file from the radio

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

How to record a sound file from the radio

Can anyone advise me how to record a sound file from the radio.... and what software to use.
I don`t want to record music, and only need a max of 2 minutes.
I need the sound file to send to a contact in the U.S. via email.
I have a double ended jack lead to connect the REC from the radio to the MIC on the laptop.
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to record a sound file from the radio

It has been a while since I've used a Microsoft (spit!) operating system, but it always used to have in the [All Programs->Accessories] section, a program called "Sound Recorder".
I would have thought that would make short work of recording a audio sample from the microphone or line input.
shutter
Community Veteran

I put "sound recorder". into the search box on the start menu, but nowt came up....  Cry
Anonymous
Not applicable

What OS are you running ?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Plenty of free ones around for W7, or use the ones built in to XP or Vista if that's what you're running.
Google is your friend.  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Vista Home Premium
will go away and check out the linkys ......  Undecided
shutter
Community Veteran

Ah HA !... thanks Purleigh, your first linky gave me a clue.... "soundrecorder" instead of  "sound recorder" in the search box gave me a result....
much appreciated.  Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

-ap6wqak>
-ap6wqak
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you wanted a few more bells and whistles, then you could download (free) VLC media player - which can record and playback more formats than most other programs.
Smiley
kmilburn
Grafter

If you want more control, Audacity is a good sound recorder and editor.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks guys... I used to have VLC but rarely used it in favour of GOM player.... ( not sure if that has record ! ! ! ) but will look see, and if not will give VLC a try....
I think Audacity, will be a bit OTT for my application ,  ! ! ..
actually, tried to record some sounds last night with the windows sound recorder, although the cursor moved along as if recording there was no sound on the windows or Irfanview player...
( I know the link cable is good because I use it for other radio/computer applications )
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: shutter
I have a double ended jack lead to connect the REC from the radio to the MIC on the laptop.

If it is a radio station with a streamed internet option then the alternative is to capture the section of the stream that you want.  I would have thought that would achieve better sound quality. 
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: shutter
actually, tried to record some sounds last night with the windows sound recorder, although the cursor moved along as if recording there was no sound on the windows or Irfanview player...

The microphone input on your laptop may need enabling in Control Panel / Sound / Recording tab where you should also be able to see it in action on a bar-graph.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

@ RR ..... no it is not a internet or broadcast station that I want to record.... I want to record some noise !
@Strat.... the mic socket is already enabled, as I mentioned in my brackets previously !  Roll_eyes  ( I know the link cable is good because I use it for other radio/computer applications )  well, not specifically, but the inference is there ! ! ! ...