Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Windows type progs to install on Linux with WINE

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

How to get Windows type progs to install on Linux with WINE

Found a way of getting Windows Progs to open with a right click, using   "WINE"  ..

Package Manager > search for Wine 1.6

(search results give three.).. Wine 1.6 - WINE dev  - WINE i386

(from memory, I remember seeing something about an update needing i386 so I selected the first and third from the list)

Marked them for install  and Apply

Rebooted afterward.

Open "Download Location " of the  (windows type) prog "CWCOM"

Locate (the windows type program)  cwcom.inst > right click on it >

choose "Open with> presented with a list, but at the bottom of list is

> Open with other application....   click on that line ... then click Browseanother list appears

Scroll down the list to find "Wine"    select it...  this gives a "terminal" type instruction, in a window slot,   

checkmark, (put tick in box) associated with all windows type progs (if I remember)  and then "Open"

After cwcom ( or the prog selected) has installed, the  icon  appears on desktop and a "page"  marked cwcom lnk which can be deleted.

10 REPLIES 10
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: How to get Windows type progs to install on Linux with WINE

Wine 1.6 is not the latest version of Wine. Thumbs_Up

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard  and you have conveniently forgotten to advise me which one is....

However, your omission of that information, is irrelevant, as once it is downloaded and installed, as described, when it is first used, as described, it automatically updates itself, including adding new packages where needed.

In effect.. your post was trite, and pointless... Huh

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be fair to @VileReynard, @shutter he does have a point. If you are able to select a Wine version of 2.8 or above from the package manager then doing so should be the default and preferred option. Not one really wants updates to be done if they can be avoided in the first place.

shutter
Community Veteran

To be fair.... he should have included what the latest version is....  Wink

His comment was like telling someone that they are going the wrong way.. ( i.e     me,  telling people to install an older version ) .. but not explaining the right way...  ( i.e.   what the latest version is )...

E.g.. someone about to drive off a cliff..... You`re going the wrong way mate....... 

Ooops !... too late... Shocked

VileReynard
Hero

To be fair... (obligatory introduction),

The version of software in a repository depends on the Distro you are using...

For example, in Debian Stable (which I use) the current version of Wine is 1.8.7-2 - but Debian Stable is usually a version or two behind perfectly usable versions in (for instance Mint or Ubuntu etc).
The clue is in the name - Stable = very reliable. Cheesy

So I don't know what the latest version is on the OP's system - except that its > 1.6.

You can get even later versions if you go for compiling downloads of source code (but this won't get automatically updated).

BTW Wine is a gigantically complicated horrible piece of software - I haven't loaded it for years because of its complexity, although I expect it's improved in recent years.

On the rare occasions I need to run a Windows program, I've got W7 on half a netbook - takes ages to load. Grin

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

I’ve been using “Play on Linux” to manage everything with wine, like installing windows apps and selecting wine versions.
You can even select a different version of wine to run with a specific app, if per say for compatibility.

Finding out the latest stable release of wine is done by visiting winehq.org

Oops @shutter, just read your other post saying you didn’t get on well with PoL, too many options you said.
That's RPM to you!!
shutter
Community Veteran

@RPMozley   Yeah... PlayonLinux.... Well,... it was too complicated.. all I wanted to do was to click on the download.. "open with"   choose "wine" and click the enter key.. and job done... why faff around with all the choices and confusing things in POL..

As for @VileReynard    Originally his post was limited in it`s authenticity by leaving out vital information and then he comes back to try and justify his post with one full of useless information, making even the simplest of operations as complicated as possible... I and many others, will not be the least bit interested in how big or complicated he thinks WINE is, nor his usage during his lifetime...  My post was about "a simple way" ( for simple people like me) to be able to enjoy using @VileReynard  `s favourite Operating System, to run their favourite Windows type programs. Many of which do not have a viable or comparable alternative on the Linux platform.

Someone described Linux once... as.... "It`s like flat packed furniture, with no pictures, and all instructions in Japanese, just to be able to open the box to view the contents laid out before you".

three  pages of forum threads and two days of "back and forth" just to find out a way of getting a simple "comport" to work,  shows just what a challenge LINUX is. 

VileReynard
Hero

You mean "to get a COM port that you don't physically have work properly".

They stopped building PC's with serial ports some time ago.

shutter
Community Veteran

Stop trolling.... Lips_are_sealed

VileReynard
Hero

Huh?