cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check my pc for hidden things such as keyloggers etc

penneck
Aspiring Pro

How to check my pc for hidden things such as keyloggers etc

Yesterday I got scammed. Stupid of me, I know, but its done so now I have to limit the damage. I allowed the scammer to control my pc across the web. He could have put anything on my pc, so I need advice on how to track down and eliminate any naughties such as keyloggers, etc.
I have Win XP, plus the latest AVG 9.5, Spybot, Ad-aware, and Zone Alarm. Should the first four be able to find any naughties, and should Zone Alarm be able to stop these naughties? I have looked at the programs controlled by Zone Alarm, and cannot see any ticked things that are suspicious.
Thanks in advance
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: How to check my pc for hidden things such as keyloggers etc

boot it to the dos prompt and do the scans from there, also try malwarebytes
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Avast antivirus also does a boot scan,see here..http://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
MrC
Grafter

To be honest if I had a system that someone's had unauthorised and total access to I'd be looking at:-

• backing up all personal information to some other media (DVD, USB drive, whatever) - unless you've already got some form of backup strategy in place

• make a note of any relevant configuration information (license keys, application setup info, whatever)

• boot the PC from an original CD or DVD and completely reinstall the OS taking the option to re-format the hard drive

• reinstall whatever antivirus and other security applications you use

• connect to the internet and get all OS and security product updates and any necessary drivers (printer, mouse, keyboard, whatever)

• reinstall applications

• (important) scan the media you initially backed up your personal info to with your new antivirus and other security applications

• restore your personal information

Over the top? Possibly, but it's the only way I'd trust that PC again. Plus, you get the benefit of clearing out all the cruft that's built up over the years Smiley Oh, and if you've any other PCs on your local network make sure you get them checked out as well Sad
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I agree with MRC. If your still using the pc you should use a virtual keyboard till your confident everythings fine, You can pick one up from here...http://www.freevirtualkeyboard.com/
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I've downloaded Avant, and run a full scan, plus a bootup scan. It found a couple of things, but I suspect they were innocent as they were in s/w I had installed some years ago.
Thanks for all of the suggestions
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: penneck
........... I allowed the scammer to control my pc across the web.

Are you sure that whatever authority you gave to do this has now been revoked?
Denzil
Grafter

Change all your passwords as well, including email login, and any websites you log in to. Do that immediately. If he has managed to copy important passwords then he could do a lot of damage in a short time.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Denzil
Change all your passwords as well....
Very very good point.