cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change username?

Sadie
Grafter

How to change username?

Can somebody help me please?  I am new to Plusnet and want to set up my email address, and it seems that because my username is my first and surnames (say, janedoe), then my email address will be jane@janedoe.plus.com.  I can find where to change my password but not my username.
Thanks if you can help.
10 REPLIES 10
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: How to change username?

There is no facility to change your username because it is linked to so many systems internally within Plusnet and changing it involves a lot of manual work. It is sometimes possible before an account is activated but not afterwards.
I suggest you get a domain name and use that for your email. You can host a domain name for free on most plusnet accounts, but make sure you register it elsewhere and just host it here as plusnets charges for domain registration are very high. I use www.daily.co.uk. There are instructions on how to host domains under help & support.
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As you are new to Plusnet you are presumably on Plusnet Value or Extra and neither of these accounts includes free hosting for a domain name as suggested above.
If you don't like the format of your Plusnet email address then it is probably best to use a service such as Gmail or Hotmail which has the added advantage that you won't have to change your email address every time you change your ISP.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

bear in mind that the bit before @ can be anything you want so in my case I have mr@pierrepierre.   you could use mrs, miss or ms@janedoe
Sadie
Grafter

I am sure that the person who I signed up with over the phone said something along the lines of - you can use your name as your username for now; 'for now' suggests that I would be able to change it.  I couldn't wait to get rid of gmail (which I've been using temporarily) - I hate it; and I don't trust Hotmail.
I've only been with Plusnet a week and this, together with other things that haven't gone smoothly, makes me wish the next twelve months away so I can go elsewhere.  Not the best start to a twelve month contract.  Is there a cooling off period after the account goes active does anybody know?  
With every other supplier I can get a sensible email address; janedoe @ bt; janedoe @ talktalk; etc.  How ridiculous - jane @ janedoe
James
Grafter

Hi Sadie,
I'm sorry to hear of the problems you have had so far.
In your case, I'd suggest getting yourself a gmail email address as has already been suggested.  It's not tied to an ISP so you can take it with you, should you elect to leave us after 12 months.
There's a rolling 10 day term on our services, but you would need to pay us for the costs that we have incurred as a result of signing you up (this would be the cost of the router, the cost of installing broadband, and the cost of ceasing your broadband service) if you were to leave within  12 months.
Sadie
Grafter

I have already said that I have a gmail address temporarily and I was looking forward to getting rid of it - I hate gmail! 
What do you mean by a rolling 10 day term, and how much would it cost to leave now? 
James
Grafter

Hi Sadie,
I'm sorry I missed that you already had a gmail address.
The ten day term means that you can give us 10 days notice of your intention to leave, at any stage.
The cancellation fees would be £90 if you asked us to cease your broadband services, £65 if you migrated to a different ISP.
I'm just having a look through your account to pick up on the other issues you've touched on.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How about letting her have a free dialup PAYG account to be used for email?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, I'm sure I can sort something like that out. Sadie, let me know when it's convenient to call you to discuss.
Jojo Smiley
dick:quote
James
Grafter

Hi Sadie,
Thanks for your time on the phone this morning.
As I mentioned, I've now set up your new email address and I'll raise that issue with Openreach for you.