Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add new fonts - Windows 7 Professional

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

How to add new fonts - Windows 7 Professional

I am sure that I managed to add some new FONTS to the FONTS folder  ( probably more than a year ago )...  by just downloading the new font,.. and then dragging & dropping them onto the Fonts Folder in Windows.   or even "copy & paste"..  but it seems that I cannot do this now... and am stuck with the fonts supplied.

If it`s possible... Please can someone tell me the way to add new fonts..

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to add new fonts - Windows 7 Professional

@shutter, is this link any use to you, it is old but cover Windows 7 so should still be relevant.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241036/how_to_install_and_uninstall_fonts_in_windows.html

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Download a new font, extract it if it's in a Zip file, right click on the font file and select Install Font, done...
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's as the link and @twocvbloke says, they need to be 'installed' so they are registered by the system. Or you can use the Fonts application in the Control Panel > Appearance and Personalisation > Fonts and drag your font file on to it.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous& @twocvbloke  Yes I agree, that is the way I used to do it...  BUT.. for some reason when I drag and drop,. onto the fonts folder, it does not appear there. 

I have also had a message saying Unexpected Error code 0x80004005  but when I check out that on the microsoft site, it has not got an answer ...  

So I tried a question on the "virtual help"  and it gives the following text...

******************************************************************************************************************

To install a font, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.

Type the following command, and then click OK:%windir%\fonts

On the File menu, click Install New Font.

In the Drives box, click the drive that contains the font that you want to add.Note The floppy disk drive is typically drive A or drive B. The CD drive is typically drive D.

In the Folders box, click the folder that contains the font that you want to add, and then click OK.

In the List of fonts box, click the font that you want to add. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold the CTRL key while you select each font.

Click to select the Copy Fonts To Fonts Folder check box. The new font is saved in the Windows\Fonts folder.

Click OK.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

After typing in the box  %windir%\fonts  It just opens up the fonts folder in Control Panel and there is no option in the "menu" to Install New Font.

004 fonts folder opened_800x456.jpg007 fonts folder menu_639x600.jpg

I had a "eureka!" moment , just before going to bed..... to re-locate the actual Fonts folder to ( say Desktop ) and rename it Old F O N T S )...  and make a new folder Fonts and put it in the Windows folder.

Then transfer all the contents of the OLD fonts folder to the new one...

The reason I think this may work is because of this...

004_800x600 fonts properties 1.jpg005_800x600  fonts properties 2.jpg006_800x600 fonts properties 3.jpg007_800x600 fonts properties 4.jpg008_800x600 font propertied 5.jpg009_800x600 fonts properties 6.jpg

After clicking the last one... I would expect the folder to be read and write..... however it is not so...

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

I'll try again:

Download a new font

Extract it if it's in a Zip file (not to the Fonts folder, just where it was downloaded to)

Right Click on the font and select "Install"

DONE...

shutter
Community Veteran

@twocvbloke  Like I said..... bin there .... done that...   and here it is in slow motion.....

012 download 1.jpg014 download 2.jpg015 download 3.jpg016 download 4.jpg017 download 5.jpg

As you can see.... no option to "Install"...

I tried to "move" the Fonts folder to the dekstop... but it gave another 0x error notice.... so I used "Send To... "  and chose Documents.... it did go there... and while it was there... I managed to "copy and paste" a font to it... however... when I then tried to return the folder from Documents to Windows... it just disappeared... and the font I had copied to it was not in the Windows version...

So... onward thinking...  " Send to..... Documents... "...    then Delete/erase the Windows folder...  then replace with the folder from Documents  ? ? ? ? 

would that work?

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

shutter wrote:As you can see.... no option to "Install"...

Once again, this time using bold, italics and capitals to emphasise where you have gone wrong:

Download a new font

EXTRACT IT IF IT IS IN A ZIP FILE (not to the Fonts folder, just where it was downloaded to)

Right Click on the font and select "Install"

Now try again or this will be declared as PEBCAK...

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

selecting right click on the font gives this

CropImage.jpg

shutter
Community Veteran

@twocvbloke  I know you are trying to help.... but.... THAT is exactly what I did.... as the pics show..

step by step... download 1   ( downloaded a new font )

download 2    ( cursor showing the download has completed)

download 3  ( showing the Zip file ready to be extracted )

download 4... ( showing the unzipped files in the DOWNLOAD location).

download 5  ( showing the result of the right clik on the file )   - NO install option given

@Oldjim    Here is a pic of the downloaded file on the desktop.... with a right click action showing .... again... NO install option...

004 right click on imiage.jpg

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Looks like you have had something else take over the file association for .ttf files, and going by the screenshots (of the files in a .zip file hence my stating the need to extract first!) it is IrfanView at fault, so you'll need to deal with that taking over the file association first.
shutter
Community Veteran

@twocvbloke    Don`t think it is anything to do with Irfanview... cos the file will load onto the Font folder when it is located in the Documents folder.... ( as previously mentioned.)....

It seems to me that the Windows Fonts folder is READ ONLY...  and does not allow any INSTALL or PASTE action on the right click...

Hence my idea of deleting or erasing ( I have both choices ).. after copying it to the Documents folder... and then replacing the deleted folder Window FONTS folder with the one in Documents, as this WILL accept the Paste action on right click.

@twocvbloke  & @Oldjim  Just "Send to ..... USB memory stick ".. and then dragged and dropped from the desktop on to the folder in the USB stick...

004 drag n dropped to usb stick.jpg

Zero, is the name of the font, that I moved using  "Drag n drop" ...

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Fix

@shutter wrote:

@twocvbloke    Don`t think it is anything to do with Irfanview...

Irfanview has taken over the file association which has, as a result, removed the "Install" option from the right-click context menu, forget faffing about with copying, deleting and re-copying the Fonts folder, this is like trying to change a piston in a car with the engine running, as Windows is using the fonts (hence why you can't change things), you need to restore the default ttf file association to Windows Font Viewer, Right-Click the font file, go to "Open With..." and if it is in the list, single-click "Windows Font Viewer" and below the box click the tick box that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

If Windows Font Viewer is not in the list, click Browse, click on the C: drive (where C: is where you have Windows installed), in the top right corner use the Search box to find "fontview.exe" (should be located in C:\Windows\System32), wait 'til it finds it, select it, open, and follow the above of single-click, tickbox, etc, then click Okay, then restart the computer so Windows can re-do it's file associations int he context menu, then right click and select Install.

shutter
Community Veteran

@twocvbloke wrote:

@shutter wrote:

@twocvbloke    Don`t think it is anything to do with Irfanview...

Right-Click the font file, go to "Open With..." and if it is in the list, single-click "Windows Font Viewer" and below the box click the tick box that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

Ha Ha Ha ! .... Now why didn`t you say that in the first place  ! ! ! ...Undecided

Ok... problem solved... thanks for your perseverence !.. we got there in the end...  Smiley

Right click on the font ( on the desktop )..> Open with..... Windows font viewer....>  . click the Install option at the top of the view.    

checked that it is installed in the Windows Fonts folder...

Thanks... Wink

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:

Ha Ha Ha ! .... Now why didn`t you say that in the first place  ! ! ! ...Undecided

Reviving a line from when I worked in the computer shop offering phone support to similar issues, "Because I couldn't see what was going on with your computer", first pictures showed nothing involving file associations, 2nd did but all I noted was the files were still zipped up (which wouldn't give an Install option even with the right associations), and the third was when I noted that the TTF icon was wrong, I've never used Irfanview on any of my computers so I have no idea why it needed to take over the font files (thus making it difficult to install them properly)... Crazy

But yes, sorted now, and it's reminded me why I hated doing telephone support, when I'd rather have been working on computers where I could see and feel them to diagnose problems, software or hardware...... Cool_smiley