Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Build Your Own PC

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

How to Build Your Own PC

Found this site, which may be of use to some people.  It claims anyone can build their own computer, by following 23 steps, which are detailed on the left side of the page, click on them and progress to the next.....
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

Hope it helps..
might even give some useful "inside" info to those who want to know, but are scared to ask! !
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How to Build Your Own PC

It appears that the article is from about Feb this year and as such there is an immediate omission on the first page. If you want to install Windows Vista - well someone will - you should have a DVD drive. Also installing a ROM drive is very silly - it should be a DVD writer
Items needed
    * PC Case
    * Floppy Disk Drive
    * Hard Drive
    * CD-ROM Drive
    * Processor
    * Processor Cooling Fan
    * Motherboard
    * Memory Modules
    * Power Supply
    * Video Card
    * Keyboard & Mouse

Also it states
Your motherboard has two built-in IDE channels, each supporting two devices
- with a modern board this is most unlikely to be correct. It will have only one IDE slot
It also states
Find an expansion slot ideal for your video card. You can consult the bottom right image for a look at the three types of video card slot types: ISA, PCI or AGP. Most video cards in use today are using the AGP slot

Frankly this is a regurgitated set of instructions from a long time ago (in PC terms) and shouldn't be used or recommended.
Edit - just noticed this one
Motherboard spacers (usually come with the motherboard, but are used to space the motherboard up off the mounting plate)
No they don't as the standoff distance is specific to the case and that is why they always come with the case
Edited to clarify which bits come from the article
shutter
Community Veteran

Oh Well. I tried !.... Not being "up to date" with the "latest" bits and pieces, It appealed to me, as an insight into "how" to do it, which might appeal to a wider audience.  I bow to the experience of "old Jim" regarding the actual up to date parts list !
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Shutter - I was a bit harsh. Sorry I wasn't getting at you.
I was just appalled that an article issued in Feb this year could have so many glaring errors and so much out of date information that it would get any novice using it into serious problems.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
Most video cards in use today are using the AGP slot

PCI-Express I think you'll find  Roll_eyes
AGP is pretty "dead in the water".
(just looked at DABS for graphics cards, almost 10:1 PCI-X:AGP)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Post modified to make it clear which bits are from the article and nothing to do with me.
If you want some better guidance have a look at this video http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/185508/ and this article http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/195975/build-a-futureproof-pc-for-200.html
shutter
Community Veteran

@ Old Jim.  No . Not at all!.... I obviously took the site at face value.  I thought it might give some useful information to those thinking about building their own !. 
No problem with your post at all.... Smiley Wink Smiley