cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How safe is Facebook?

Interested
Grafter

How safe is Facebook?

Been recently to a "do" where I met a few old colleaugues who suggested I sign up on Facebook.
Am usure on internet safety, eg viruses and personal data fraud, etc am I at extra risk if I use this site or is it just a case of being careful what you say?
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
samuria
Grafter

Re: How safe is Facebook?

It can be a dodge site like any other networking site but only if you reveal information about yourself. The more info you put on there the more people can guess and use keep it as none personnel as possible. Some people put their tel number home address and other silly things on that can help hackers.
Millions use these sort of sites with no problems just watch out for people who want to be your friend especially if you have never met them
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I use facebook and I haven't had an issue, just one thing to add to Samuria's advice you'll get lots of requests to add different applications, be careful over those as that is where the security concern is.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

So, have you got time to sit around all day and check out who is "online". and who you want to contact?  What is wrong with email?  you can send messages just the same as on facebook, except it is a lot more safe to do so, and "non interested" parties do not "need to know" what you have to say.  If you want more contact than that, why not use a skype....
Wink
Denzil
Grafter

Facebook will also asks for your email login information, and uses that to email everyone in your address book and ask them to join. I have received invitations from a number of people who didn't realise what it was doing.
Interested
Grafter

Thanks for that folks. Smiley