cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How not to wire a comm's rack

MuppetGrinder
Grafter

How not to wire a comm's rack

As a couple of people know, I have an issue with the wiering of the comm's rack at my work.  My predisessor clearly wasn't one for planning ahead when he put this thing together and started pluging in cables the way he did.  It's taken me over a year to get the incentive to sort out this mess, since I can't drop the network, or work on it out of hours, and the beige boxes are under contract not to be tampered with (yeah - we'll see).  So just before I started ripping the thing appart I thought I would take a "before" picture with my phone....here it is for everyone to see how NOT to wire up a rack Cheesy
I'll post an "after" picture once I actualy get finnished with the damn thing.
30 REPLIES 30
artificer
Grafter

Re: How not to wire a comm's rack

good luck and bon voyage.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I bet that not all the wires actually do anything.  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Lurker
Grafter

[me=James_G]refuses to post a pic of his comms room...[/me]
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think our one at work is worse than that.
I've been reliably informed that it's awful, and will need to be sorted out properly at some point.
It's one of those points in time which will probably never arrive Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
I bet that not all the wires actually do anything.  Cheesy

Saddly about 98% do, but worse than that, not a single one is marked, so if anything goes down or needs moved it's a game of "follow the cable" also there was an inital plan to for colour coding that went right out the window at some point as well, it's a total free for all.
@Barry - you get payed way too much Tongue
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Next time I pop in the server room (I generally only tend to go in there at times), I'll try to grab a phone camera pic Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: MuppetGrinder
@Barry - you get payed way too much Tongue

LOL - I wish.
This is a render farm I'm installing at Pinewood Studios, not my own personal server room (although, it is MINE, I tell you!)
I shall continue updating pictures as we proceed Smiley
B.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

So just before I started ripping the thing appart I thought I would take a "before" picture with my phone....here it is for everyone to see how NOT to wire up a rack Cheesy
I'll post an "after" picture once I actualy get finnished with the damn thing.

if it works............................. Don`t fix it  ! Roll_eyes
see pic below !  Cheesy
mal0z
Grafter

Shocking - during my apprenticeship we had to learn to layup cables and secure them with plastic covered nylon cord, and no cables were allowed to cross. These days most people seem to use tie wraps.

Pierre - I see you have an earth wire  :), but where does it go to - ( OK to earth perhaps , but how ? - hope it's not to the ac mains earth) And copper water pipes are not necessarily any good as they are plastic pipes underground and are probably connected to the mains earth.
I understand that most domestic premises don't have a proper earth, like a long rod driven into the ground, or an earth mat of buried coper wire / pipe. 
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73209.msg579097.html#msg579097

pierre_pierre
Grafter

it used to go out to the back garden, along to the corner of the house to a ground spike, not looked lately, as a) had an extension fitted where the wire ran, b) had the house under pinned on that corner
Just been outside in the cold - was snowing about an hour ago, its an unshieived wire that disappears under the concrete at the corner
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

A lot of houses still have metal gas pipes, metal water pipes and metal central heating pipes.
And they're earth bonded to hell and back.  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

mal0z
Grafter

Oh yes - older houses, but at sometime in the past - they started using plastic - certainly my place which is 15 years old.
I think it would be good if building regulations specified a decent earth spike on all new properties, given the huge amount of electronic gismos we have these days.