cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How not to wire a comm's rack

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: How not to wire a comm's rack

my house is over 40 years old and its got plastic to the road water pipes, Imperial Standard, tis a job matching to new fittings, I have bonded copper inside, but Bonded to What?, it does come down to the fuse box, I assume the Mains is correctly earthed
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I have bonded copper inside, but Bonded to What?, it does come down to the fuse box,

I've tried to find the wiring regs online, but can't find them ??
http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/about/
I assume that the electrical supply is earthed back at the local transformer.
Whenever I've installed telecom equipment ( in the hazy and distant past ) - it has been in a building with a proper earth installed beforehand by an electrical contractor. Or on a ship / oil rig - and that is fairly easy on a steel ship / rig  Smiley And with a very solid large bar of copper to attach all the earth cables to. I've only been into telephone exchanges  very infrequently when working on BT projects, but they had huge copper earth bus bars connected to a massive piece of copper buried in the ground.
techguy
Grafter

@Muppet Grinder
Good luck with that.
I spent a couple of days in October with the team that does that kind of stuff at work and they are in the process of sorting out the wiring in some of the older comms rooms on site which are not far off what you posted in terms of wiring spaghetti in preparation for replacing the core routers.
I do want to move into network design and maintenance but did think when I saw these rooms, are you really sure you want to do it for a living?  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

is this  okrzynska spare room Roll_eyes Cool Roll_eyes
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
I assume that the electrical supply is earthed back at the local transformer.

That's the norm for houses these days. The leccy company has a reliable earth at every substation, and the house's supply cables are normally bonded to that. Any house that hasn't had it's supply cables replaced in the past 30 or 40 years is probably dependent on a local earth though.
Somewhere on the board there's a rather long thread, (from last year,) about earthing.
techguy
Grafter

When I started at my current place of work I used to have to go into one of the computer rooms occasionally to reboot a server and the machines were in old racks amd the place had nylon floor tiles.
When I went to touch the rack I used to get one hell of a static shock, thankfully though after 6 months they put new IBM servers in renewed the racks as well and each has a grounding plate in front of the door so working on a server is a much less painful experience.
Looks like the guy in your picture could do with the same pierre.
samuria
Grafter

Send Sean Branagh round he can fix it
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: pierre_pierre
is this  okrzynska spare room Roll_eyes Cool Roll_eyes

Lol Nope, thats more like the spare cupboard at the top of the stairs at the moment lol. It's got about 18 computers in there....
The cupboard under the stairs has survived quite well though... only 3 in there currently but there are plans for the 4th to move in away from the desk Tongue
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
techguy
Grafter

@ okrzynska
So I'm assuming you have a low central heating bill then as whenever heat is required you just open the door.
7up
Community Veteran

Lol... You'd think so wouldn't you?
Actually no. The 3 under the stairs are shut away in there for noise pollution purposes. Only 1 is regularly used these days and thats purely as a wifi AP. The other 2 haven't been booted for ages due to my working pattern.
Downstairs is very cold anyway and because we have no door at the bottom of the stairs (they just run up the back wall in the living room) all the heat goes straight up so downstairs is always cold.
The collection upstairs aren't actually in service at all at the moment. There are plans for that to change but for one thing I just don't have enough kettle leads or mains outlets Tongue
At the moment there is only really one 'main' pc being used and my partner uses the laptop she bought a while back (hence the machine under the stairs acting as wifi AP). The 2nd pc at the desk is rarely turned on now either due to the noisy PSU (had a very nice quiet one until I decided to dismantle, clean and dropped it while holding a wire - which stretched one of them inside and broke it!). Stuffed a AMD psu in it and its now too noisy to put up with so its just sitting there at the moment. It will however be joining its comrades in the not too distant future for heavy duty code crunching purposes. That however is also dependant on finding 2 more power outlets - one for the computer itself and another for an extra network switch!
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: MuppetGrinder
Saddly about 98% do, but worse than that, not a single one is marked, so if anything goes down or needs moved it's a game of "follow the cable" also there was an inital plan to for colour coding that went right out the window at some point as well, it's a total free for all.

To mark patch cables or not?  That is the question.
I have always been from the school of not marking patch cables. The reason being that if you do mark them and the get moved round they never get remarked correctly, which caused worse problems that not being marked in the first place.
What you should have is a colour code, and up to date documentation detailing the connections.

While on the subject of patch cables in racks, what do you do with the excessive length of patch cable?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Our server room is in my office....or.....my office is in the server room, not sure which Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: chillypenguin
While on the subject of patch cables in racks, what do you do with the excessive length of patch cable?

Personally myself I just make a big loose loop of the remaining cable and chuck if in the floor - but not to small otherwise it reduces the signal. Sometimes I'll even afford a cable tie to loosely hold it all together too Wink
techguy
Grafter

The problem we have where I work is various teams physically moving or repurposing servers and not updating the documentaion.
Can be quite fun trying to work out which server is now running the service you need to reboot at 10.25 p.m. on a Saturday evening when I'm due to finish my shift at 10.30  Smiley and having to go to several racks or indeed computer suites in different buildinga trying to find it and then eventually finding it at 10.50 and waiting another 10 minutes for it to get back online.
As for patch cables, our networks team has the machinery to cut them to length and attach the connectors so you just tell them how long you need.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: chillypenguin

Cut it to the correct length, then crimp a new RJ45 onto it is the correct answer.
I suspect not many amongst us can ever be bothered to do that though!