cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many people out there use Linux? and what flavor?

timtim

How many people out there use Linux? and what flavor?

I am just curious, I have recently found Linux (in past 8 months or so) and I really like it, it doesn't crash like windows, it is not expensive like Mac's, in fact it is free.
you can install on a windows PC (as long as it is not Vista) with no trouble, it will then dual boot, i.e. when you turn it on it asks you what opperating system you want to use. All the software is free it is great.
oh and it works straight from the CD with no install if you are just curious. Just p[ut cd in and reboot PC and then when done turn off and your computer will not have changed, unless you liked it and clicked on "install"
Try www.kubuntu.net and have a look.
tim
13 REPLIES 13
Will
Grafter

Re: How many people out there use Linux? and what flavor?

I 'have' used linux. (In fact, I used to run a hub downstairs on Linux). However, I only have one PC at present and as I am an avid gamer I stick to WinXP.
However. I do find that when you need to run a server or hub or the like linux is definately the better option. It's the better option period with the exception of running games.
I have used many different kernel's within linux. I used Ubuntu and Debian when I was getting used to it.
However, more recently I have been using SUSE. It's a much trickier devil. But pays dividends in the end!
paulby
Grafter

I have an old PC running Suse Linux. My main PC is running Vista and I've a loaptop running Xp (voted Vista above but really use all 3!)
I tend to use the Linux box to play around with.  You get the feeling, certainly with Suse, that you need to be fairly tech savvy to do a lot of things with Linux - it took me a while to work out how to install basic programs and installing a printer needed a bit of research!!!
As for Vista and Xp - not had any problems with either of them!
Ianwild
Grafter

I'm what you might call a 'power' user.
I have:
- Mac Mini in the living room
- Laptop running Debian (Lenny)
- Linux Server running Debian (Etch)
- Dual CPU Windows 2003 Server, which I had intentions for, since forgotton. 
- Dual boot XP / Vista PC in the study for occasional gaming sesh's.
- Windows work laptop
The only thing I'm proud of in that is that in the last 3 years I've spent less than £1000 on technology in total, and that includes a new laptop I bought for my other half (which I've not listed!)...
Ian
paulh
Rising Star

XP Home and a couple of Puppys ... the latter making the former look like it's running on a 8086
Colin
Grafter

More than one of the above:
- PC running Vista Business
- PC running Fedora 7
- Macbook running:
  -- Mac OSX
  -- Ubuntu in Boot Camp
  -- Windows XP SP2 in Paralells
Quote from: PJ
Debian has given me a few headaches getting Apache, PHP and MySQL to compile and talk to each other (possibly because I was using the latest X64 release). Otherwise extremely pleased with all of the above.

Isn't that what apt-get is for 😉
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

More than one of the above:
I have:
- Mac Plus Running Mac OS 5.
- Macintosh laptop Running Mac OS 7.
- Power Macintosh G3 Running Mac OS 9.
- 2 Servers Running Windos 2000, which I have intentions for, 1 will be a eMail Server and second one will be a web Server, as soon as I can get them setup, by the University of Teesside, I am hoping that the University will setup the Servers for me.
- 2 PC's Running Windos XP.
- PC Running Windos ME, is the computer that I use for video editing.
- Laptop Running Windos XP
- Plus a number of different Macintoshs as well.
I am thinking of puting Linux on the Servers.
Some people say that I am nuts about computers.  My favourite computer is the PET from CBM, because I worked at Commodore Business Machines back in 1977 in Eaglescliffe.  Wink
Even though I am Dyslexic I'm what you might call a semi-power user of computers.  Cheesy
glyndev
Grafter

7 PC's here, soon to be 9.
- Eldest son has 2 PC's
- second eldest son's
- daughter's
- wife's
- my primary machine all use XP home or pro.
- Dell Pentium 733Mhz server on Fedora 6 (soon to be 7)
- My new PC (when built) will be XP Pro
- Re-building a Dell (c1998) for controlling model railway using Fedora 7.
Tried quite a few flavours of Linux but like the look and feel of Fedora, partly for the use of RPM's for installing software packages.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Currently using:
Windows XP (x3 PC, x1 Laptop)
Windows Vista (Ultimate x1 Laptop, Business x1 PC)
Windows 2003 Server (x1 PC)
Ubuntu "Fiesty Fawn" Linux (x1 PC)
robrow

I use Fedora 7, dual booting with XP. I now only need XP for my scanner (Cannoscan 9950). When I've become more familiar with Linux I hope to be able use the free VM convertor, and run XP from within Fedora. I'm not a computer 'Wiz' but there does seem to be a lot of help on the internet for people attempting to learn how to use Linux. I'm what is referred to as a 'Silver Surfer.
grimme
Grafter

Use XP and SBS 2000 on the M$ side.
On Linux side use MCN Live Toronto, Mint Bianca and Simply Mepis 6.5 as preferred choices. Have also tried Nimblex, Sam, Dreamlinux and Ubuntu, but don't get on as well with these as the first 3 on the list.
gothstevek
Dabbler

My main box dual-boots XP and Ubuntu, but to be honest I hardly ever boot up XP on it these days.
I also have a laptop running XP which is my back-up if I do something "silly" when fiddling with Linux and I need to search teh interweb for a solution.  Wink 
Denzil
Grafter

Likewise, dual boot XP and Suse 10, although I only boot into XP occasionally to keep it updated, or if there is some particular XP application I need.
Walter
Rising Star

My Pc is dual boot Ubuntu/XP, I have just installed VirtualBox with PcLinux('live', as it would not install to HD) and OpenSuze which installed fine to HD.  All for a bit of fun and experience.
My Laptop is still XP but soon I will ad Virtual Box.
My wife's Old 500MHz Evesham has Linux Mint, she mostly uses email & internet and would not swap it for Windows, she loves it.
Recently I installed  Tight VNC which works a treat, no messing about with Windows permissions, very easy to get going.
I have Pendrive Linux on a 4GB Usb stick for testing purposes but have not been able to configure/install drivers for Wifi yet.
After a short period of initiation I can see every 'Green' advantage of the Ubuntu/linux philosophy and the recycling of older computers.
Cheers