Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How light is Defender on Windows 10 64 bit

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How light is Defender on Windows 10 64 bit

This surprised me http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart4&year=2015&month=10&sort=1
Well over half of the commercial ones have less impact on the system performance
3 REPLIES 3
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: How light is Defender on Windows 10 64 bit

it would be usefull if they also explained how good /bad the various products were at the same time and which build version they were talking about.
personally I tried 3 separate av products on windows 10 (original release) and none of them were problem free (mcafee avg kapersky) unlike the default windows defender + firewall option using the av product there were problems trying to use the pc, the network adapter would stop working regularly during use, the updates to the client would cause fork problems and cause it to effectively install and run a second copy of the program on top of the currently running copy, all of this stuff had an impact on the system to the extent it was virtually unusable (hogging up to 80% of the cpu resources)
so seeing those 3 in particular listed at the bottom of the list of things that "impact on system performance" makes me wonder if they were sponsoring Octobers test .... as to defender unless its actively running a scan I don't notice any slowdown, and when I select it to run using minimal resources again I barely notice any performance hit compare that to mcafee or avg where every time it does an update the pc becomes unresponsive for up to 20 minutes, the mouse will randomly move all over the screen and when running a scan even selecting minimal resources its impossible to do any other tasks on the pc until its finished because it eats 100% cpu until its finished ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Why don't you read the linked report - at the bottom of the page - then you would find out
AV Comparatives do not accept sponsorship of tests
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Windows 10 is still being patched-up by Microsoft very frequently.  It must be really difficult for security software to keep up, as that gets so intimately involved with the inner workings of the OS.  So it's probably too early for any comparison measurements to be stable from one week to the next.