Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How good Will the graphics be on this?

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

How good Will the graphics be on this?

Looking for a pc to play low to medium graphics games. At present I play World of Warcraft on an i3 laptop which slows down in heavily populated areas (3-5fps).
I'm looking at this as a compromise between performance and space saving.
Acer C20-220, AMD A6, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive 19.5in All In One Desktop. I'm just not sure hire good an A6 processor is for graphics.
Anyone got Amy experience our idea please?
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How good Will the graphics be on this?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Some all-in-ones are quite difficult to get inside and you may not have the option to fit a graphics card (think giant not-very-portable laptop).  Any software that is required to interact with the hard drive would be faster if you had an SSD rather than an old-fashioned electro-mechanical type. 

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Great. Thanks guys. Given me much to think about. I liked the idea of an all in one for the space saving aspect, but the issues with upgrading may be an issue. 

I don't play much on pc, as I can't find much that piques my interest. This is further restricted by the limitations of my present machine. I quite enjoyed the 'half-life' series, and am playing WoW (have been for ten years apart from a break about a year ago), but there's not much else I can find to play on my machine. 

Really I don't need a great spec machine,  just one that can cope reasonably well with graphics of some mid level games. Going to have to rethink this one. Cheers!

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

if your playing older games then your better off with an intel cpu for top of the line performance

for your outlined needs a gfx card like the NVidia 1050 ti coupled with an i5 cpu (minimum i would suggest is the 2600k but newer would obviously be better)  if your primary use is gaming and you dont multi task that will do the job perfectly 

if you do a lot of multi tasking then your better off with a newer generation intel cpu (for best performance) or an amd one,

your use both current and future is what drives most folks purchases and whilst the apu's do offer a nice entry point there generally under powered for hd gaming at high settings and quite choppy even at lows in high population areas, 

if your planning to put a graphics card in at a later date then the combined cpu/gfx card chips make sense to start with but i would suggest that for future upgrade options your better off with a socket am4 cpu (if your going amd) which also gives you the ddr4 ram

your best bet is to actually go to various pc websites and play with their system builder stuff and see what fits your budget and needs, clearly for that outlined tasks you dont need top of the line stuff and its just as possible that a trawl through ebay will reveal someone selling a ready to go pc on the cheap (i know ive bought a few over the years, often there just being sold off on 99p auctions because the seller has to get rid of it, my best buy was probably a 6 month old £1200 hp system listed as having problems where it kept shutting down, i paid £50 for it and a quick clean out later it ran for 4 years without problems in my kids room)  plenty of bargains to be had and i'd suggest that you look there before committing to buying something new at full price Tongue

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Ok guys. Slight change of plan. Can you give me your opinions on this please?

HP laptop

It's got ssd, radeon R5 graphics, 4mb ram. Available on Very (cheapest there plus 20% cashback, so silly to not consider it!). Someone says it has a benchmark of 4000, but I haven't got a clue what that means 🤔

Thanks in advance guys

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@rogadodge

much as i hate to advertise that they even exist its worth while going to pc world and playing with the hardware they have on the shelf and see how it performs, if you have a local pc shop that also offers you a chance to play wiht laptops there selling again its a good idea to get in store and see how it feels to you

sure you wont be able to load in software for a specific game but you can normally access websites on those devices and or hit up review sites for something specific, the a10 isn't the greatest for older generation games due to lower IPC throughput on single threaded applications which can cause stuttering effects when gaming

ideally for playing wow and stuff like half life you want an intel cpu and NVidia graphics, something like this  of course you can probably get a better deal from another seller or manufacturer (actually dont get asus since there stuff costs more due to their branding lol) 

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you