cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i set my Plusnet One router to sharescreen old Mac over Internet ?

zwitterelf
Rising Star

How do i set my Plusnet One router to sharescreen old Mac over Internet ?

I posted on the Apple forums on how to remote access my old Mac

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250355080

which i use to check up on the flat and my cat when I am on holiday or away..using iSentry software designed for Snow Leopard,  however Teamviewer is deciding to make life difficult for me in depreciating it's older versions, making the re-use of old machines for this purpose non functional by December, the time where I would be on Holiday to parents overseas for the Christmas Holidays... they could not get their timing perfect than that..

So how would I set up the router to 

"Open the port 5900 on your router pointing to your Mac's local address (Y.Y.Y.Y). This is the port used for the Screen Sharing service. Every router has its interface: you've to check yours and set it accordingly."  ?Huh

Its the Plusnessnet Hub One router

I am stuck on what to do...

Please help.

5 REPLIES 5
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: How do i set my Plusnet One router to sharescreen old Mac over Internet ?

You probably don't want to share your screen with the rest of the internet, so unless the "Screen Sharing Service" uses some  strong encryption, you probably don't want to do this.

Basically, you need to look at port forwarding on your router, so that you can bypass its firewall so that all internet traffic on port 5900 is directed to your Mac.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

zwitterelf
Rising Star

And how would you do that.. everyone is talking about it, that you do that, but not explaining how you do it...

Also for better security there is this option

"

For security reasons it's preferred to add a SSH tunneling to the solution described above. In this case on Mac 1 activate System Preferences -> Romote Login as well and open the port 22 on your router instead of 5900.

On Mac 2 open Terminal and type ssh -C -L 8000:127.0.0.1:5900 username@X.X.X.X where "username" is the Mac 1's username. Press Enter and fill the requested password.

The SSH tunneling session will start. Keep the Terminal open.

I can't find the router settings for setting this up ... where do you go and what to you do with the Plusnet One router ?

Choose Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server (or ⌘K in Finder) and type vnc://127.0.0.1:8000. Fill the requested username and password and the Screen Sharing should start."

VileReynard
Hero

Well, I haven't got one of these Plusnet routers, else I would tell you. Cheesy

AFAIK its not difficult.

Don't know anything about Macs, except that they have a locked down unix-like OS.

Are you familiar with setting up ssh & vnc?

I'd advise that you run ssh server on your home machine as a strictly passwordless login and definitely use a different port from 22 (which should be disabled) as you will get thousands of attempts to break-in! Choose something bigger than 1024 - in your example you appear to have chosen 8000 for the ssh port.

[Unless you have a static IP address] - you cannot give X.X.X.X as the destination address, since this is the internet facing address of the router which is allocated by Plusnet and prone to occasional changes.

This is a problem for any connection method - although there are many easy ways around it.

You also need to run a VNC server on your home machine, this does typically allow a very short password.

Have you considered getting a trusted friend/neighbour to check up on your cat? Smiley

zwitterelf
Rising Star

Well it would help, if someone had or knows how to the use the Pluss One Router and can tell me where I can find the place in the interface to do this.

Nope I am not familiar with setting up ssh and vnc, you can say I am a first timer or a noob of this. So I would not know what to do with this or set it up without some data on how to do it, and the data I need is how to find the settings of this on the router to allocate that machine to be acessible.

Now you are confusing me more about it...by not actually showing me what to do, or how to do it but just talking about it  since I don't see the sense or logic of " strictly passwordless login"  equal to "ou will get thousands of attempts to break-in" and "allow a very short password".

Run a VNC ? Is this extra software I would need to get ?

Yes I will have someone to come and feed the cat, and spend some time with the cat, but I can't expect her to be 24 hours at my place, so I need to observe things. The software records videos as well of movement. If something is not right I could text message the someone who is looking after the cat to come to the flat as soon as possible.. But no... Teamviewer had to make things difficult and they did not give a *** about me or my situation or the cat... and people just don't know how to show me how to do it , but just briefly say I can do it  when this is all relatively new to me.

VileReynard
Hero

In a Linux setting (and probably Windows etc) ssh & vnc are totally free (in both senses of the word).

I know you just want to follow a recipe, but you need to have some appreciation of public key cryptography since you are effectively connecting your home PC directly to the internet by running a service that listens on an open port.

• Port forwarding:-

Anyway, have a look at https://community.plus.net/t5/Gaming/Plusnet-Routers-and-Port-Forwarding/td-p/1307971 (4th post)

• Addressing your PC by name instead of your routers variable internet-facing ip address:-

Have a read of https://www.noip.com/free (there are other similar providers).

• Setting up SSH:-

I would look at some mac forum (I have never even seen a mac PC).

But don't use port 22 and don't use a password since any password you invent will be much shorter than the encryption keys.

• Setting up/installing VNC.

There are many varieties, all very similar, just find a server/client pair that you like.

Finally!

The reason for using both ssh & vnc is that ssh is basically a command line application which can set-up an encrypted tunnel between two machines whilst VNC allows GUI-GUI interaction.

If you don't need mouse/graphics then you don't need VNC.