cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop Windows 10 installing?

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: How do I stop Windows 10 installing?

I've had Win 10 for 2 weeks now and had no issues with it at all.
I took great care to stop a lot of the Phonre Home features - but who knows what else it does.
But how do we know that even WIn XP. 7 ir 7 dont phone home or have these "features" added by "security updates"  ?Huh
Maybe Linux desktops will eventually take off in the next year or so
Ado16
Grafter

Killed it so far by deleting two KB updates that contained the auto update configurations.
So far it's not been back in a good few weeks - though I will probably tempt fate by saying that.
We did actually try using it (Sorry If I'm repeating this), but were very frustrated over the new display customisation settings.  My OH and I use the same settings on our user accounts - but for some unfathomable reason on Windows 10 it would not keep those settings between users.  If you set everything up on one user account then went over to the "other side" and tried to set the same settings there - the first user account you changed would be completely mucked up.
That's why we reverted back to 7.  Completely stable when changing screen resolution settings on either side.
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The more i read about win 10 the more i am happy with win 8.1,it just works,hope you get it sorted. Shocked
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
SteveA
Pro

Having had to endure 8.0 and 8.1 I have to say that Windows 10 is a lot better - its still bad compared to 7 but it's streets ahead of 8/8.1
Each time people work out which updates to kill to stop the 10 roll out Microsoft come up with another one or two to push it onto you, and with their patch descriptions being so generic (and misleading) its just about impossible to work out where they're hiding it.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I keep coming back to the WIndows 10 threads.... just to have a read of the problems people are having and think to myself

You poor things.... such a shame you have been conned with the microsoft tv advertising....

I saw something about hding KB3035583 which put the upgrade icon and the nag screen on the update screen.
since then I haven`t had anything else about windows 10,...

and I`m so pleased to be running Windows 7 Professional...with all the features that came with it, but have been sidelined/dropped/removed from Win 10.
Steve A sums Win 10  up in a few words

its still bad compared to 7

artmo
Aspiring Champion

W10 is far better than W8.1 and I have put W10 on my laptop.
My desktop is still W7 and I am leaving that as it is for a while.
HPsauce
Pro

I happen to have one of each in my office/study (W7 and W10) largely because the W7 system has devices/software that are fairly old and W10 isn't a good place for them.
Most of my other systems are now W10. I'd say i'm getting used to it now though I do miss some features of W7, not least it's more logical structure and clearer interface/graphics.
No tears shed for W8/8.1 though.  Roll_eyes
My main concern is the upcoming change of W10 to a Recommended update, so it will just arrive unless you make a serious effort to stop it!  Cry
jockwav
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: shutter
I keep coming back to the WIndows 10 threads.... just to have a read of the problems people are having and think to myself

You poor things.... such a shame you have been conned with the microsoft tv advertising....

I saw something about hding KB3035583 which put the upgrade icon and the nag screen on the update screen.

and I`m so pleased to be running Windows 7 Professional...with all the features that came with it, but have been sidelined/dropped/removed from Win 10.

I will stick to what works for me without any problems everytime i boot up my pc Grin Smiley
jockwav
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: shutter

I see a lot of people rolling back to win 8.1,i don,t see win 10 better. Grin
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: jockwav

I see a lot of people rolling back to win 8.1,i don,t see win 10 better. Grin

I've heard some people roll back to W7 but not W8.1. 
If you read through this thread some people have gone back to W7 but not the latter AFAIK.
jockwav
Aspiring Pro

Yes there are a lot of people i know went back to win 8.1 Grin Smiley
nanotm
Pro

there will always be people who prefer the prior operating system because very few people can cope well with change, w10 interface is totally alien to many w8.1 users who only got to grips with the changes because they had also switched mobiles, a lot of people I know had tantrums about the prospect of converting from xp to 7 or 8 and point blank refused to go forwards to 10.
M$ has a point when it says every home user needs to upgrade to w10 what they fail to annunciate is their intent to yank support for all prior versions of windows for non vlk customers in order to streamline the business further
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I can understand people sticking with or going back to something they are familiar with.
It can take a bit of a sense of adventure to move to something new from Microsoft.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
billnotben
Community Veteran

It could also be said that earlier versions are more user friendly with more options to adjust it to the users needs, options which disappear in later versions.
In my opinion "not liking change" doesn't come into it when considering 10.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I recommend that if you buy a new computer you should run Windows 10 on it because Windows 7 will expire in five years time and Windows 8 has some unusual one-off controls that aren't worth learning if you have not already done so.  But I cannot find anything superior in Windows 10 compared to 7 or 8.1 (on a new machine) apart from the ability to respond to some spoken commands and at this stage that is little more than a gimmick.  Also several features of Windows 7 were removed in Windows 8 & 10 (built-in games, ability to play DVDs).