Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop Windows 10 installing?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

How do I stop Windows 10 installing?

OK.. so I have had a look at Win 10.. and it`s not for me....
so.. I have "cancelled the reservation"... however, I am being nagged, and, when I wanted to install a couple of updates.. it started to download  win 10  I clicked on "stop download" but it just greyed out and ignored me..... the only way to stop it was to "hard shut down", by keeping the power switch firmly down, until the screen went black...
Now... I see it is ready for me to download again, with the box " Let`s get started"... however.. when I click on "show all available updates".. ( see pic 1 ). bottom left of the pane... Pic 2 shows there are three updates available... BUT none are checked...  note the size of those three updates....
Now.. look at the bottom right corner of Pic 2.. and see how large the "Total selected optional updates" is....
Nowhere on the screens have I elected to install an "optional" update of that size... which ... strangely is the same size as Win10 upgrade...  ...  If I select any of the optionals listed on Pic 2.. they will be added to the Win 10 upgrade, and it will start as soon as I click "install"...
Surely... there must be a way of preventing windows 10 from installing... to me,.... it is NOT and OPTION that I want... nor have I "selected" it...
32 REPLIES 32
Ado16
Grafter

Re: How do I stop Windows 10 installing?

Afraid I can't help, but can sympathise.  Despite constantly delaying the update - the bloody thing keeps at it - and has blown half a months data use in four days, because it's obviously downloading in the background whether I like it or not!
launton
Grafter

Ado16
Grafter

I'm just going for the update again tonight after shifting a load of stuff off the Computer,  Had one failure so far that almost killed the thing!  It's compatible too!
shutter
Community Veteran

@ launton
Quote from: launton
http://microsoft-news.com/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-notification-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/

If you look carefully at PIC 2 in my post... you will see that the KB3035583 is available for download..... Because I have already uninstalled it...  Roll_eyes
and that does NOT stop the already downloaded ( presumably ) win 10 from AUTO installing, despite it not being "selected for install" by ME.... read again what I have said, and about the bottom right corner message next to the word "Install"...
amcclean
Rising Star

I have to say Windows 10 is worth the upgrade. I liked 8.1 over 8 and 7. 10 is much better than both 7 and 8.1 IMHO.
podman
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Yes I have to agree. W10 looks good to me initially.
shutter
Community Veteran

So, Guys.... which of you has given me the answer to the question I originally posed  ?  Huh
I want to STOP windows 10 from installing.... not be given lots of stuff about how good it is for you... it is not for me....  Sad
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

have you set win update to Manual ?  then you can chose what to update  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shutter
Community Veteran

@rongtw  yes I have it set at "let me decide"...... but see the pics in post number one... and you see the problem... it is already there for downloading and I have NOT selected it anywhere....
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter I don't know if this will help you but you can try:
Using regedit go to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx
Create a new REG_DWORD registry entry called DisableGwx and give it a value of 1.
Restart your machine and see what happens.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If that doesn't work here's a pretty thorough method: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-to-10-gwx-how-to-remove.html
shutter
Community Veteran

@ Mook & HPSauce..... thanks for that guys..... will have a go later... am in the middle of a circle trying to get the USB and DVD drive to boot...... and... have Win8.1... see other thread..! !
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've had exactly the same scenario. I clicked on the reservation option to see what happened - and then immediately clicked to turn it off again.
I didn't want W10 downloading in the background and gobbling up a large chunk of my 10GB capped service. There didn't seem to be any way of telling it to upgrade overnight when we have free usage - as I'd thought might have been allowed.
I then suddenly found looking at my "View Your Broadband Usage" page on 5 August 2015 an overnight download of 3.67GB - which must be W10.
Over the next few days it repeated tried to update in the background but failed - I only knew about it by looking at my update history.
The same thing appears to have happened to my office machine despite there not even having the upgrade invitation in the first place! That also has a string of failed upgrades which ended when the last one was marked "optional" instead of "important"
Clearly Microsoft was trying to force W10 onto people's computers either intentionally or possibly unintentionally and that avenue has now been closed since attempts to upgrade both machines have ceased.
shutter
Community Veteran

Well, it is still "lurking" on the bottom right corner of " view all available updates" window...
I suggest you check your Windows Update... and compare the number and size of your "selected" updates that you want......................., with that little number on the bottom right corner............ just before you click on the INSTALL button...  otherwise it WILL be forced on you, along with the updates you DO want....
as mentioned... in my case... I have NOT selected the WIN 10 install for update..... and according to the Windows "reservation" window... I can still "reserve my copy"....