Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I, > can I < , Get rid of excess Windows Apps

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

How do I, > can I < , Get rid of excess Windows Apps

The following list is applications installed by Windows Vista Home Premium on my laptop...
I haven`t checked how much space they have invaded, on my 250GB hdd,.... but I never use them... and never likely to... so.... How do I...... or  .... Can I,  .... Get rid of them to free up space on the hdd...
Media Center
Media Player
Photo Gallery
DVD Maker
Calendar
Meeting Space
Collaboration...... What`s this for  ?
Defender
Journal
Mail
Sidebar
Can I just "erase" the contents of the folders ?  as, presumably, there is no "uninstall" facility with them...
For "erasing", I use ERASER 5.6 ( although there are later versions )... and I have set the overwrite to 3 times..
4 REPLIES 4
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: How do I, > can I < , Get rid of excess Windows Apps

Tread carefully Shutter,  Vista was never the most stable of platforms.!
If you can remove some of them via the Control Panel / Add remove programs / Windows Components, it makes it easier.
If no uninstall routine the you are going to have to do it the hard way and de-register the relevant .dll files before nuking the folders.
I googled for uninstall details on Photo Gallery so there is help out there.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NedLudd
Grafter

Media Player, Media Center and DVD Maker are listed under Winows Features in Add & Remove so it's possible to de-activate them there!
Geoff,
York.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

IIRC, "windows components" can be disabled but not removed (ie they remain available on the "disk" and may share library modules), items in "add/remove programs" where 3rd party software is listed can be removed.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

OK. thanks guys.... disabling them is a waste of time..cos I don`t use them anyway.. so being disabled won`t free up space on the hdd...
will have a look at control panel and see what is there...
Not sure what is meant by Vista being "unstable"  I have been using it for a few years now and had no problems with it... always booted up.. always worked.. done what I wanted it to do, and then gone home again  ! !...