cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my Plusnet emails to my iTouch

pluscomm

How do I get my Plusnet emails to my iTouch

My iTouch recognizes my Plusnet network and I can get emails from other ISPs.  However I have not been able to find the correct settings to get my Plusnet emails. I do know the name and password to access the emails via webmail.plus.net and I only have an inbox; I have not created other folders.
On the iTouch I navigate to Add Mail Account.  I enter my name, my email address in the form x@x.plus.com, the password that I use for webmail and I assume that the description is free text.  I save that and then, with IMAP highlighted, I enter mail.plus.net as incoming mail server host name (I have also tried imap.plus.net), and the webmail name and password.  For the outgoing mail server I enter relay.plus.net as the host name and I have tried both entering the user name and password as above and leaving them as optional. 
Whatever I do, it does not work and I be grateful to have my mistakes pointed out, please.
Many thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: How do I get my Plusnet emails to my iTouch

There is a guide here for detailing how to setup PlusNet mail on the Iphone http://community.plus.net/library/email/setting-up-plusnet-email-on-an-iphone/ .
I'm not that  familiar with either the iPhone or the ITouch but I believe from here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1385 that they have the same mail client so the setup should be the same.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hulls
Grafter

Hi I think Imap is the key.  The host name I use is imap.free-online.net (I'm a FOL customer), and it works great.
The guide linked earlier looks about right from what I remember.
John
mossgrove
Grafter

There is another way if you use Outlook  as your mail client  (might work for other clients- not sure):  In your ITunes sync profile - on the Info tab scroll right down and you will find a section called "Mail Accounts" - if you enable this section it invites you to select your mail client and the accounts you want to sync. - select the appropriate ones.  Then next time you sync the account information will be copied over.  Then check on your IPod that the Delete mail from server is turned off.  That should be that..............  Good luck!
pluscomm

Thanks for your help.  I learned from the guide that I needed to answer yes to the same question twice and be very patient and now it works fine.