cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I tell if my computer has been hacked

zedingrove
Grafter

How can I tell if my computer has been hacked

OK I use a laptop which when not in use I put it in sleep mode, also as advised by PN I never switch of router.
Now according to all my security protocols nothing has changed on my system. Yet today I have noticed that in the top right hand corner of Google Chrome I have a head, which when clicked brings up the picture below. Last night this was not there, and the account Footy have no idea on...
Any suggestions as to how I can find out where/how this has appeared?
9 REPLIES 9
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: How can I tell if my computer has been hacked

I doubt you've been hacked and to be honest, few people really hack home computers as its not worth their time or effort. They may use trojans and other malware but they won't directly sit at a computer typing a few hundred commands to get into your computer like they show in the films (films that make out that one man can create a super duper invention etc).
The reality is that it looks to me like your browser has done an automatic update and installed it when you closed it down and restarted it. Quite common, not much to worry about. Notice how it refers to you by your email address and says its a default profile? - Thats all the signs of a new feature that has been created and installed.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
zedingrove
Grafter

Well that makes me feel happier, thanks Sprite...  Wink
As for the film part I did come across a bit of software few years back which could work out a persons password, it only took 18 days to work mine out!!!
7up
Community Veteran

Films like to make everything look easy. Sure there are probably faster ways to crack a password (gpu processors can do it a lot faster) but the average joe won't be that much of an expert.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Google Chrome updates tend to run without any user interaction. So Chrome could well get updated in the background even if you don't even run it, you might not use it in a month or more but it still updates.
Google has kindly installed two Task Schedules and two Services that are always running without anyone knowing about them, just for a "simple" update process. Roll_eyes
As you can probably tell I've had enough of Google's invasive tactics and have mostly dropped Google for most things. For searches I've switched to DuckDuckGo and it's good to have simple (old Google) search results back again.
That's RPM to you!!
7up
Community Veteran

I got fed up with chrome ages ago like you MPMozley. I also had trouble with the updates - always when starting the computer. CPU would fly up to 100% straight away and stay like it for ages. I tracked it down to the google update program (which you can stop, delete and it restores itself promptly) and decided to get shot of it. Considering google said they wanted to create a safe and bloat free browser they've done a damn good job of doing the total opposite.
@Zedingrove I use Seamonkey, it's a sister product to firefox but its much better at memory management. Granted you don't get all the same fancy features that firefox has but its a lot better than most other browsers on the web.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

If that's your actual email address in the image, i would advise removing it from that image, as anyone can obtain your email address that looks in this public forum.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Yes - but my Chrome doesn't have a little head - on top right or top left (the original posting is unclear as to location) - and I've checked it's up-to-date. So why the difference? Looks like something that only happens with multiple accounts?
7up
Community Veteran

While google without a doubt have more than enough CPU power to keep half the planet going, I would doubt that they would want all chrome browsers updating at the same time and downloading things etc.
It would make sense that they'd allow batches of chrome browsers to update so that their servers don't get overwhelmed.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Not with Chrome - since if you select "About" it triggers Chrome to check for updates and mine's already on Version 21.0.1180.89 which appears to be the latest on the ordinary release channel. Unless ZedinGrove posts which version he's using we won't know will we...