cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I correct an HP laser dispening toner onto parts of paper its not needed

techguy
Grafter

How can I correct an HP laser dispening toner onto parts of paper its not needed

Hi
I have a question about a peripheral class I hate the sight of but will be around for a while longer I suspect and due to the occasional need to print letters I maintain one.
About 18 months ago I bought an HP Laserjet 1018 http://tinyurl.com/bhwqvf, All went well for the first 6 months till I started to get what I suppose you might call toner artefacts down the right hand side of the pages which is of course ok for run of the mill letters but not the best if you want to print a CV on high quality paper as first impressions count of course  Smiley

As someone who knows the basics about laser printers it appear that some toner has stuck to the roller or fuser and so it is staining the pages.
Any idea how I can cure this short of replacing these parts which are probably worth more than the printer which £50 new.
It also still has the original toner cartridge in it, would replacing that cure it?
Any help appreciated.
21 REPLIES 21
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: How can I correct an HP laser dispening toner onto parts of paper its not needed

I have a Brother printer that was doing something similar to that. Replacing the toner helped but didn't cure it. Replacing the drum restored it to as new.
Sorry!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lurker
Grafter

Re: How can I correct an HP laser dispening toner onto parts of paper its not needed

Its possibly the imaging drum which has picked up dirt, but they aren't cleanable AFAIK.
(Its unlikely to be the fuser, since it fuses by getting very hot - anything on the fuser would have fused itself to the fuser, and consequently not been transferred onto the media.)
You could try a different toner, but I don't think this will help TBH.
techguy
Grafter

So in reality I'd be better scrapping the printer and buying a new one?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If a new one is £50 - I'd say yes
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lurker
Grafter

I'd say leasing is better in the long run, but I guess you aren't doing the volumes we are!
The best option in reality though, is to not bother with a printer at all, and simply make use of your employers gear. The reality is that they expect you to anyway, so by not doing it you are actually decreasing your remuneration.
Fact*
*May not be factCheesy
techguy
Grafter

My printer is in better condition (even with the fault) than any at my employer.
As I'll be job hunting  come late 2009 for networking jobs I'm going to need to print off CVs so need a printer so will have to bite the bullet (or should that be cartridge  :)) and order one from PC wotsit.
Thanks for the replies as always.

Lurker
Grafter

Yeah, better to get it online, then you can run off a few hundred copies, then send it back within 7 days.
Lurker
Grafter

As a serious note, if its just your CV that you need to print out, is there not an option to do so locally, rather than buy a printer?
Most tech recruiters prefer e-versions anyway, so they can scan for keywords etc, so really you probably only need copies to hand out at interviews, and a few to post out with covering letters speculatively.
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
Yeah, better to get it online, then you can run off a few hundred copies, then send it back within 7 days.

hmmmm, true.

Think they may start to notice a pattern though but judging by my experiences in their stores which are staffed by complete numpties it seems perhaps not.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I guess you don't own a printer then James Grin
I couldn't see whether that model has a changeable drum cartridge or not, but it's not a very expensive mono printer and I'd imagine if there were drum cartridges it wouldn't be far off the cost of the printer. At least I think ones for my printer are around £100.
So I guess you may as well bin the printer and get another, rather than paying out a similar cost and taking a chance that'll fix it.
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
As a serious note, if its just your CV that you need to print out, is there not an option to do so locally, rather than buy a printer?
Most tech recruiters prefer e-versions anyway, so they can scan for keywords etc, so really you probably only need copies to hand out at interviews, and a few to post out with covering letters speculatively.

You got a point there and particularly as I'll be applying to network services companies.
And any other stuff I could just run off at work.
Alex
Community Veteran

Yeah - if you go through agencies, they'll want to edit your CV before giving it to companies (e.g. taking your contact details off, etc.).
techguy
Grafter

Going to avoid agencies if I possibly can as I registered with a couple a couple of years back that were supposed to focus on IT roles and I had to chase them and used to get SMS every so often asking me whether I was looking for work still.
So I'd ring up and the consultant I'd been dealing with had either left and they couldn't find my CV or details so they wanted me to come in and re-register or it would be for conteact work which I told them I was not interested in doing as would not give up a permanent role for 3 months work.
In short they were ***** useless
Alex
Community Veteran

I'm having to look as the moment, as I was made redundant .. but have since been taken back on again by my company under a contract for a few months. But I need something permanent really (especially helps for getting a mortgage!).
Not had to deal with them for a few years, but what amazes me is that they phone and ask you about your CV .. skills, etc. and they clearly haven't even bothered to read your CV at all. I don't expect them to read it cover to cover, but your skills summary you put right at the top on the front page - they could at least read that!
Anyway sorry, off-topic /slaps myself Smiley