cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change the nameservers for my domain to point to a different host?

OriginalBigBri
Dabbler

How can I change the nameservers for my domain to point to a different host?

I haven't been making use of my Plusnet hosted website for many years, and now I'd like to build a new site using Wordpress, which needs a MySQL database.

I can't find any tools at all to manage my web space, but I'd like to change the nameservers to point to another hosting company, where I can set up an Add-on Domain.

Do Plusnet have any webspace tools at all, or should I think about transferring my domain out ?

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: How can I change the nameservers for my domain to point to a different host?

If your domain is with plusnet dns then you'd need to create a ticket to get them to help you point the domain elsewhere. Alternatively you could move the domain itself by updating the nameservers (again via support ticket). You'd need to use a dns service that will host the domain on their nameservers for you  - I use freedns.afraid.org BUT the catch there is that you automatically allow others to help themselves to a subdomain if you use that service - or subscribe and you can keep it to yourself. There are probably others out there but that is the one i use.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
OriginalBigBri
Dabbler

Re: How can I change the nameservers for my domain to point to a different host?

Thanks, I just need the nameservers changed.

I have my other domains registered with 123reg, and they allow me to change the nameservers myself. Once this is done, I can create an add-on domain with my hosting company which allows me to run multiple websites under one host.

I tried used the A record to do it, but that hasn't worked. Didn't know you can get Plusnet to do it for you Smiley

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

When you move a domain via the A record, you need to ensure that the server at the other end is correctly setup to accept traffic for that domain. EG if you set the A record to point to an IP address where there is a webserver running, then setting that record will indeed point traffic to that IP address but unless the owner of that machine has setup the webserver to accept and handle traffic for that particular domain, then by default it will serve the default content for that webserver instead of the domain you're expecting. The same applies with nameservers too - they have to be configured at the other end to handle that domain.

I've not used plusnets domain hosting / dns so I don't know what they offer in terms of dns management but i've vague memories of a few users over the years needing plusnet to resolve their issues - basic things that you could do with ease at 123-reg so from my POV opening a support ticket would be the best way to go.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
OriginalBigBri
Dabbler

Thanks, I've used A records to point subdomains to specific IP addresses on webserver I run locally and on AWS, so I know how they work.

I made a change to the A record with "www" in the left field, and that has now propagated around, so I could create and Add-on domain at my hosting company and my website is now running there and working!

Nearly there!

Unfortunately, Plusnet's config tool only accepts alpha,numeric and . characters, so I can't set up an A record for @ to get my "naked" domain working.

OriginalBigBri
Dabbler

All sorted.

Turns out you can put the full domain name followed by a . into the left field of an A record