Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I by pass User Account Control?

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

How can I by pass User Account Control?

I wish to maintain the Win 7 User Account Control setting at maximum, but bypass the Control when a back-up program is started automatically by Task Scheduler.
Once Task Scheduler is open, it is straight forward to set Scheduler to open the back-up program by setting it to run at highest privileges.  However, the opening of the Task Manager itself is blocked by the UAC setting!
Can anyone help?
Regards.....
14 REPLIES 14
brush6136
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Re: How can I by pass User Account Control?

If I'm understanding you correctly you in effect want UAC never to notify you. Can't remember exactly how it goes in W7 but in 8.1 you just set UAC never to notify & that should overcome your problem. UAC really just alerts you to a program wanting to update any part of your system. Don't think it actually stops you. I can see with an unattended backup from Task Scheduler there may be an issue. You could get around it by executing  a small script but that seems like a lot of effort when UAC can be a bit of a PIA & can be effectively switched off. It's not selective by program, again that's where executing a batch routine as part of the schedule would help.
Hope it helps.
Don't use a big word where a diminutive word will suffice.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks for your interest and comments, brush6146.  However, I am not wanting to totally disable UAC, it's use is strongly recommended by Microsoft, I just want to disable UAC to enable selected programs to work automatically having been initiated by Task Scheduler, in accordance with timed-settings.
I want to initiate the automatic back-up of various partitions, when the computer is unattended and close-down on completion.  All this has been working perfectly on my Win 7 Home Premium x64 PC for over a year, however, I have always operated with UAC disabled.  I would prefer UAC to be active, except for allowing Task Manager and Acronis to open without the security of the UAC dialogue Box requiring a manual response.
I have tried various solutions based on raising the "priviledge" of the initiating action.....so far without luck!
Many thanks Old Jim.  I have carried out the procedure suggested, expecting that UAC would then open, bypassing the UAC dialogue box.....it didn't!  Rather surprising as the procedure appeared to be what I required.
I have another suggestion that requires a program gpedit.msc, which I will have to download.  Apparently the program enables some security adjustments....possibly rather dangerous, however, I'll look at it in a day or so.....these efforts get rather tiring!
It's just odd that a lot of people aren't effected by this issue!
Regards and thanks again.....Noel
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Do any of the suggestions in this Superuser Q & A topic help?
About half way down the article is (what is claimed to be) a hidden feature that I think could be used in a script.
David
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks spraxyt, I think that the "hidden feature" may well offer the solution.
I'll look at this and report on my findings!
Thanks again....Noel
nanotm
Pro

you can normally change the settings of the relevant program so it automatically runs with full admin privileges via the compatibility tab (its what I did on my system at least) so the backup would run from bootup (regardless of which day it was due to trigger on)
right click the relevant program, select properties, select compatibility, click change settings for all users, in the bottom part of the second popup tick the box marked run as administrator, click apply then ok,
run the program and choose the relevant backup settings, save and exit, test by setting it to run in 20 minutes then reboot the pc and see if it auto starts at the required time
no need for doing scripts or regedits, but if you are using a network storage device make sure you add the program to the firewall's allowed list for full access and ensure your power save settings are disabled for the various connection adaptors your using otherwise windows will shutdown the connection and fubar the backup because it ignores any background subroutines
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
fotobits
Rising Star

Sadly, I've given up on this one!
In order to maintain the protection of UAC, in future I will manually start Acronis backup!
Pity, everything else is automatic.
Many thanks for the help, interest and comments...
Regards....Noel
Oldjim
Resting Legend

This may be a very silly question but why do you want to use Task Scheduler to run Acronis
Just use the scheduling in Acronis as I do and it doesn't appear in Task Scheduler
fotobits
Rising Star

Not a silly question at all Oldjim.
I use Acronis 2014 and when I installed it in 2014, the built-in scheduling feature did not work and the alternative suggested on the Acronis Forum was to use Windows Task Scheduler, which is far more flexible anyway.  I used that, however, it necessitated turning off UAC....not a safety feature I now want to dispense with.
If the Acronis program now offers a working in-built scheduler, I'll go for it.
I'll set it up for the morning...fingers crossed!
Thanks again Oldjim....Noel
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am using the 2009 version which works fine - I don't know about your version
fotobits
Rising Star

......and your UAC is on, Oldjim?
.....Noel
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes but at the default setting in Win 7
nanotm
Pro

a couple of simple options then perhaps
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html
or this one
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/windows-task-scheduler/b...
the latter probably being more pertinent to your requirements,
had I known the limitation of needing to do it via task manger that would of made the original answer perhaps better here's a load of other links to blog posts about answering the same problem http://www.bing.com/search?q=using+task+scheduler+to+open+an+elevated+program+in+w7&qs=n&form=QBLH&p...
hopefully you find the solution that works best for you and your setup
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
fotobits
Rising Star

When I first installed Acronis 2014, the built-in schedule did not work and following the advice of the Acronis Forum star, Grover, I used the Windows Task Scheduler.  This necessitated the turning off of the User Account Control facility.
Now, wanting to enjoy the benefit of the UAC protection, I generated this string in order to learn how the UAC could be selectively by-passed by the Acronis/Task Manager combination.  I did not receive the assistance I required from the Acronis Forum.
In fact, I have been unable to find an effective by-pass procedure.  However, as the result of Oldjim's last comment I have now discovered that with the UAC setting at the Microsoft default, the Acronus Scheduler now works!
I assume that the Acronus 2014 program has been updated, as the Grover remedy no longer appears in the Acronus Forum's Help facilities.
Many thanks for the help, advice and interest of brush6136, spraxyt, nanotm and Oldjim's wise old words!
I am most grateful to you all.....
Regards....Noel