cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I access the windows mail address book?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

How can I access the windows mail address book?

My wife`s laptop emitted smoke, and a pungent smell of burning plastic, and the jack plug and socket become extremely hot, when plugged into the mains….The battery will not charge, as the psu shuts down almost immediately, due to excessive current being drawn by the laptop.
There is life in the battery, which gives enough power to boot up, but then fails during the welcome screen.
I have taken the machine to a local “whizz kiid”, who has pronounced it extinct, but cannot find any evidence of burning on the motherboard. He did re-solder the jack plug socket, but this made no difference.
I have managed to get the hard drive out, and coupled it up to my laptop via a hdd caddy, to see if I can access her email contacts/address book.
Unfortunately, she is running on Vista Home Basic, and I am running on XP SP3….
I can locate the HDD on my computer, and I have found the windows mail exe file. However, I get a message box saying the application is not a valid 32 bit application OK…. (no its not ok….  !)
In the windows mail folder are the following files
Msoe.dll
MSOERES.dll
Oeimport.dll
OESpamFilter.Dat
OESpamFilter.dll
Wab.exe
Wabfind.dll
Wabimp.dll
Wabmig.exe
WinMail.exe

Can someone tell me where the contacts/address book list is ?
I have changed the boot settings so that I could boot from her HDD, but although the computer finds the hdd, and tries to boot , it “hangs” with a black screen, (no mouse curser, or windows wheel)…. After about 5 minutes, it seems to give up the ghost, gives a quick flash of a blue screen with some writing on the top  and then proceeds to boot up again….with the same procedure.
I have tried this on a Vista machine, with the same results.
I have also tried to access the mail program from the caddy hdd, but when clicking on the .exe file, it is directed to the master copy and the owners mail program, with no mention of the caddy hdd ..
Can anyone please point me in the direction of the file that keeps the address book?  So that either I can copy it by hand to a piece of paper…. Or copy it to a flash drive to transfer to my XP machine…
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How can I access the windows mail address book?

I don't use it but it appears to be located in C:\users\your wife\App Data\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local folders
There may be a permissions problem but logging in as Administrator may get round that
Edit -added some missing steps
Andrew_B
Grafter

My laptop has Vista Basic..
I'll have a look when i get home from work if the above answer isn't correct.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Hi Jim....
That was "spot on"... ;). Thanks very much.... just made a new folder and copied them across to my docs on my computer..... now to get the rest of it sorted ! !
many thanks..... much appreciated. Smiley Smiley Smiley
Gerry