Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I setup a Ubuntu home server with a dynamic ip

Bluesplayer
Grafter

How I setup a Ubuntu home server with a dynamic ip

Hi
Quite easy to do this using the Thomson Gateway router.
How I have managed this having just moved to Plusnet:
1.  Obtain 2 computers (full comp and base unit for server).
2.  Connect main computer to Thomson Gateway router using an ethernet cable.
3.  Connect server to 2nd router ethernet outlet.
4.  Join no-ip.com and install their small program on your main computer which will auto-update the no-ip free domain name you will get from them.
5.  Access the Thomson Gateway router admin (read instructions) and click on Home Network - click on 'Assign a game or application to a local network device'.  Make sure Upnp is ticked and assign 'Web Server (HTTP)' to the detected ubuntu device.
Job done more or less.  The server I have is a full ubuntu server without any graphical interface - command line driven - which I prefer as it behaves exactly like a vps you would pay for.  I access it from my main computer by using putty or WinSCP.  Infact I have a KVM switch which enables me to run both computers from one keyboard, mouse and monitor so I can access the server directly or through the WinSCP program.  Even though you have a dynamic ip no-ip takes care of it and the free domain name they give you will work at all times unless no-ip is down for some reason.
Here is my server in use:  http://bluesplayer-shops.hopto.org
To setup a full ubuntu server isn't hard as there are plenty of tutorials for it and the Ubuntu community is very active too.
Regards
Bluesplayer
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:How I setup a Ubuntu home server with a dynamic ip

Some great advice there, if you've got time why not put it in the Support Library.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Re: How I setup a Ubuntu home server with a dynamic ip

Added it to the Support Library  :).
James
Grafter

Excellent, thanks!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can do that without having to install any programs if your router supports dynamic DNS (the original Netgear DG834v1 does so I guess it's a feature support by all Netgears).
Sign up for a free dynamic DNS at http://www.dyndns.com/ and enter the details in to your router is all that is needed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)