cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I send executable files by email

hadden
Grafter

How Can I send executable files by email

This was going to be a rant, but I've restrained myself...
To try and send legitimate executable files by email, I have gradually had to implement more sophisticated workarounds, to avoid being blocked, including the following:
[list type=decimal]
  • Rename the file to a non executable extension

• Put the file in a zip

• Put the file in a zip and encrypt the zip

• Encrypt the file in a zip with the highest possible level of encryption

• Rename the zip file to have an extension other than "zip"

• Rename the file to a non executable extension, place it in a zip, encrypt the zip and then rename the zip file to have a non "zip" extension.

• However, even these measures are sometimes now not enough.
    If anyone has any other simple practical workarounds that you have found to work, could you please let me know?
    I have also tried the following

• Upload to web or ftp server, but many recipients are also not allowed to download.
    • Encrypted email, but less than a handful of my recipients are setup for this.

43 REPLIES 43
    orbrey
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: How Can I send executable files by email

Try winrar as opposed to winzip - rar files tend to get through in my experience. Alternatively you could add to a zip, then add the zip to another zip along with a small text file or something - that might work though winrar will probably be easier.
    hadden
    Grafter

Thanks.
    Yes, rar files have more success, but the lack of WinRAR on recipient PCs is a bit of extra hassle for them (some more than others).
    I stopped short of trying the zip inside a zip method for a client this morning, as I was beginning to wonder if any attachments were allowed and, as you say, there should be something easier. I may have given up too quick, so I should be prepared to try it, just in case.
    [I also still feel that I've got an unsatisfied rant inside me about this Sad ]
    shutter
    Community Veteran
    Fixes: 65

I`m no expert (as many may know) but I had an idea that may broaden the discussion....
    Could you set up a website, with password access, to page two, then upload the file(s) to page 2.
    Send an email to the client, with the password, (or if regular user just an advice) that the file(s) are available for download?
    Or maybe not.....
    James
    Grafter

Nice idea Shutter, but it may be a similar problem to using FTP.
    shutter
    Community Veteran
    Fixes: 65

so how do the likes of Ccleaner/adware/Irfanview/spybot/AVG/and many others do it?
    orbrey
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's not hosting the files that's the problem (though I'm making an assumption here) - I'm guessing the OP is emailing these files to people in offices or schools or otherwise behind a restrictive firewall which blocks their access to http or ftp downloads.
    hadden
    Grafter

I am able to upload files for clients to download but, as you say, some are blocked from downloading, so that workaround isn't always available.
    chillypenguin
    Grafter

A trick that I have used to get exe files through, is to “uu” encode them. This converts any file into a 7bit ASCII text file, which will look like this;
    (OK example is a unix file)
     begin 644 somefile.tar.Z
    M'YV0=LZ4D>,B#)DW;,K,&5/&#9T8+6#<< $CAHL8,F#@T"'CAHX8,UX &$F
    …..
    D%ED5FJ*+L-'FF3=A([60C037E3K0C<MS>Z[/_;E -^@*W44*

end

This fools most systems, as the file is just plain text.
    WinZip and most archive managers will handle “uu” files.
    Chilly
    hadden
    Grafter

uuencoding...
    Jings, that takes me back  Smiley
    I can just about remember using .uue files for newsgroups and an old email client.
    However, you've stimulated me to rethink through the various alternative encoding/compression techniques. However, I am still hoping for another general solution, that doesn't rely on the recipient requiring to use a non built-in software capability.
    VileReynard
    Hero
    Fixes: 20

Is there an equivalent to linux wget command for your clients?
    I assume the clients aren't prevented from web access?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

hadden
    Grafter

As I understand it, wget uses http or ftp protocols to download, so that it equivalent to the recipients using a web browser to download the files.
    seanbranagh
    Grafter

Quote from: JohnJ
    • Upload to web or ftp server, but many recipients are also not allowed to download.

Why not?
    I know Vista is ridiculious with things like this but surely you can still download any file you want?!
    I regurarly use this method. I would have a folder of digital photos of several hundred meg from which I would create a self-extracting winzip file from (.exe) and then upload to one of my servers for friends and family. Not encountered any problems yet.
    hadden
    Grafter

Quote from: Sean
    Why not?

The downloading restriction is not a technical issue, it's an IT administrative policy, in some places.
    The policy is applied when a corporate IT support doesn't trust the users and are worried that a user might download something that breaks their PC.
    seanbranagh
    Grafter

Ok, I understand now. I just asumed that it was home users.