cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotmail changes forcing us to use of IE?

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hotmail changes forcing us to use of IE?

Trying to check my hotmail today and I use Opera.  So find a new update/layout/look to the site today that stops Opera to load the main page fully, so blocking you reading mail.
MS forcing us to use its crap browser?
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
12 REPLIES 12
Santiago
Grafter

Re: Hotmail changes forcing us to use of IE?

I use Opera too and I logged on to Hotmail and read my mail OK today. There was a new layout but it was the same in IE.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I access Hotmail (and some other webmail-type services) via Windows Live Mail desktop client, it's much easier.
techguy
Grafter

It doesn't surprise me at all if MS are doing this which is why I use Yahoo mail for my subs to various forums and what not and for my official e-mail address that I use on stuff like my CV I registered my own domain and hosted it with a provider that operates a linux based infrastructure in addition to Windows so my mail is stored on and the web interface runs on Linux based servers so can quite happily use firefox.
paulh
Rising Star

Yes Gus, that's exactly what M$oft are up to I think.
Opera users are often in this sort of position because too many websites implement features and technologies which only work properly in IE (try the search function on PC World or Dixons for instance)
One workaround is to use a special Opera feature which allows you to use the IE engine to open particular sites in an Opera tab (this is what I do)
It compromises Opera's wonderful security to some extent of course.
Have a peek at http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons as a starting point.
mal0z
Grafter

The obvious if perhaps unhelpful response is take you business elsewhere, don't use hotmail and don't use websites that on't support IE, AND email them and tell them why.
A few years back - I tried to use the Jessops website and had just this problem - so I kept emailling them until I got a response.

paulh
Rising Star

problem with this is that Opera has such a tiny market share (in percentage terms)  that some sites just don't care ... I've done what you suggest mal0z and when i even got a response it has often been "So what? Use IE" ... paypal/eBay the worst and most unhelpful offenders in that regard.
which is not to say that we shouldn't keep trying of course
Opera also have a forum section dedicated to this subject and themselves keep the pressure up on such sites
techguy
Grafter

I think most web designers develop for IE because they know that its going to be on a users machine out of the box whereas you have to specifically install firefox and opera
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes but.  Crazy  if you have a holiday machine like mine Eeepc - linux - firefox, no sign of IE,  at least it does comply to the Internet standard.

I had a go at two of SWMBO's craft suppliers, told them if they want my trade, cange your website, they did, now works in all browsers.
Also had trouble with Weightwatchers,  - must be us,- we have tested it with Firefox 1.0 that works,  pointed out that it is now up to 3.0  eventually agreed
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

All will come good when IE 8 is fully released and standards compliant Wink
None so keen as the new convert - recall IBM and it's long stand to keep SNA as the comms protocol, then a sudden switch to TCP / IP and they became missionaries for the cause.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

techguy
Grafter

Bear in mind that firefox has only recently come to the mass market's attention so historically among the plug and play brigade that pick up a Windows based box at PC world and start using it FF and Opera didn't come into the equation.
However getting back to the OP's point I think MS would do it on purpose for obvious reasons
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

No idea what changes happen from last night too today but now it loads fully, sods law post about something not working and it works not long after.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
mal0z
Grafter

IE hasn't been on the Apple mac for some time - laste was IE5.5 IIRC - so they use either Safari or FF.
And Mac's are not exactly low profile