cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot weather affecting Laptop???

bubbalicious
Grafter

Hot weather affecting Laptop???

To you clever peeps this might sound like a silly question Crazy, but does warm weather make a laptop run hotter? my whole keyboard is extremely warm too touch, aswell as the touchpad, I can feel the heat putting my hands just above the keys warm even with the iternal fan seemingly running constantly!  There is no Bios update but I have reset the bios (something the Sony support pages suggest) and just wondered whether this very warm weather could be having an impact :-[??  Its a new Sony Vaio FZ31M if make/model have any bearing on these things?
Any thoughts as always will be much appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Hot weather affecting Laptop???

Depends a little on what you mean by heat. If you mean warm, then yes, that would be pretty normal, any electrical device will generate heat when attached to a mains supply, including laptop computers, and a very low level "warmth" at keyboard level would be normal. But if you're talking about really raging heat, that would be a bit serious. Does the exhaust fan cycle normally? does it blow warm air when working? If the computer works normally without freezing or other sudden unaccountable failures, then I would suggest that all is in order.
If you actually use it on your lap, it is quite normal to be able to feel the heat under the bottom of the computer (including when it is used on battery only) You should ensure that the fan outlets are clear and unobstructed though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my plea for advice!
There is a definite difference to how hot the laptop has been getting the last few days than when I have had for the first couple of weeks- with the weather changing here so much, i wondered whether that was why?
I've only noticed feeling heat from the keyboard the last couple of days, it is by no means 'burning hot', but uncomfortable enough when I rest my hands on the areas around the touchpad for typing etc i need to keep moving them. Its not something I would ever put on my lap - I heard a nasty story about a man in his underpants using his laptop (hate to imagine what he was doing) on his lap and was a reason for them becoming Notebooks instead, and everything I read about safety with them tells me not to! I always keep the underneath clear of blockages, it always goes on a table or flat hard surface and the sony has a shaped underneath that leaves extra space for air movement, so i'm definitely not blocking the vents. 
By 'The exhaust fan cycle normally', i'm guessing that is what i call the 'cooling fan' - it seems to run constantly at the moment (its so annoyingly loud).  Evern when I don't use the laptop for a while and my power settings will turn the display off after 10mins and then the hard drive after 15mins (and I don't mean the laptop hibernates or shuts down etc) - the fan again stays on!  I presumed that as that setting applies  when nothing was running it wouldn't need the fan as the power is reduced - but again I could be totally wrong!
Other than the mouse not responding properly a few times over the last few days everything else seems to be working Ok.
I don't know enough about these things to know what is a problem or not! This is my first Sony after a few toshibas - there seems to be a big difference with how the two compare with the fans, and maybe its jsut what I am used to using, and i need to get used to the \sony being a generally 'hotter' machine?
I am well within the years manufacturer warranty so i know I can get Sony to look at it but I am unsure if it needs that.  I have plugged in an external cooler tonight and even with that the keyboard etc is remaining the same temperature!
I apologise for the essay, I would turn it off and call Sony if I felt it was dangerously hot, but its more that  i'm definitely feeling a change in the temperature of the keypad area and air coming off it!  the fan is defintely running alot more and since I turned it back on this evening it hasn't turned off -2 hours. 
:oHaving read my essay -sorry but I always think I should add it all, rather than miss something out!  Does this all sound normal and I should not worry about it.  I was planning to watch a DVD with the Laptop attached to my TV with the HDMI but I guess that is a lot of work for the laptop and am worried if there is a problem what could happen!
Thanks for helping,  Does all this sound normal?  At the moment my sunburn is having a competition with the laptop over which can omit more heat :-[, but I don't think I can do much about me!
firefly2
Grafter

Hi. i don't have a laptop but have seen special rests advertised to alleviate the build-up of heat. especially when placed on the lap!!!! firefly2 Smiley
bubbalicious
Grafter

Thanks Firefly2 I just had a look on one of the 'PC Review' websites and you are right!  Perfect idea to save me having to always look for a table to put it on!  Thanks for the tip - much appreciated. 
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

The making "very loud" noises from the fan is a bit suspicious, they (at least the two in this house) are usually audible, but not distressingly so as a rule, this one has been on for an hour or so, and there's just a faint "puff" of warm air coming from the outlet, I wear a very sensitive hearing aid, and I can't hear the fan at all.
You've had so many problems with your laptops over the last few months, that I'm loathe to send you off to invoke your warranty again, but if you're really convinced there's something wrong, and it's getting very hot, then I think you should, better safe than sorry in the case of excessive heat.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
netherfield
Dabbler

My daughter had Sony Vaio up until January,it always felt hot and was not something you wanted on your knees,although with the battery removed and plugged in to the mains it wasn't to bad,so I think a lot of the heat is generated by the battery being charged.
At one point the system kept falling over, so I took it in to work and blew compressed air through all of the vent holes, I was quite surprised how much fine dust came out of it,this was after two years usage,this at least kept the system stable and it got this treatment twice a year after that.