cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homespot public wifi

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Homespot public wifi

Has anyone else been made aware of this?
http://www.juniperresearch.com/press/press-releases/1-in-3-home-wi-fi-routers-to-double-as-public-ho...
From the look of things it's been happening in the UK since at least 2014 (just google "homespots").
http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/survey-77-service-providers-plan-use-homespots/2014-12-03
This is the first I've heard about it.  Is PN intending to get (or already) involved in this?
(Mods please move this to a better area if required.)
EDIT: Well it appears BT are already doing this, and chances are you may have logged onto one:
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11049/c/
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
5 REPLIES 5
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Re: Homespot public wifi

BT-supplied routers have been configured this way for years now, even as far back as the awful 2Wire routers they used to supply. I used to install them for customers and the public hotspot was always the first thing I disabled.
If I was using one of these routers at home, I'd disable it too. Call me mean, but I don't want other people freeloading off the bandwidth I've paid for Wink
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: dannyboy75
... I used to install them for customers and the public hotspot was always the first thing I disabled.
If I was using one of these routers at home, I'd disable it too. Call me mean, but I don't want other people freeloading off the bandwidth I've paid for Wink

Probably a bit naughty disabling the Wi-Fi hotspot unless specifically requested by the customer.
People aren't exactly free-loading as it's in effect a 'members only club', and those people would (should) be making a small portion of their bandwidth available in exchange for having the opportunity to use that of others.  I say opportunity as it has been said by several users I've seen commenting on various forums, that very little or no usage has been made of their bandwidth.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Seeing as most of these "Home hotspots" are in residential area's, I don't believe they provide a genuine service, more a marketing strategy for BT to boast about the number of Hotspot's they have.

matthews
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Chilly main use I can see for them is that you can go round someone's house and get connected without them having to give you any credentials. A few people I know live in areas with poor mobile signal so it's handy to be able to leave the phone on WiFi for those things, and some people (understandably) get a bit funny about handing out home WiFi credentials.
It's also been a life saver when home internet has gone down. With Plusnet and BT effectively being separate networks, when home internet fails I'm able to use next door's BT hotspot and carry on browsing (albeit at a reduced speed).
Kimberlin
Rising Star

When I was on BT fibre with the public wifi enabled on my Homehub 5, I discovered a distinct disadvantage. Initially, I couldn't understand why the local kids where I live would congregate outside my house, sitting around on the pavement. Then it struck me and I realised what they were doing. It was quite funny switching off my router and then within a couple of minutes seeing the kids suddenly realise they had no internet and going elsewhere. Thankfully, I no longer have that issue.