Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeplugs left on?

Fenster
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Homeplugs left on?

Hi,
I use homeplugs, the 200 passthrough ones. The question is, is it better to leave them on permanently or switch them off when not in use, or does it not matter either way? I don't want to damage them that's all.
Thanks  Smiley
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Homeplugs left on?

Hi there,
I would probably say turn them off when not in use if you want to save power. However I wouldn't advise doing that too much as with any electronic device powering it on and off can cause undue strain. Perhaps you may just want to consider turning them off overnight or at any point during the day you may not be at home.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Fenster
Rising Star

Thank you Adam  :). I know modem/routers are best left on all the time so wondered if these homeplugs were the same, thought they may need resetting or something. It's not a subject I have seen mentioned anywhere.
Cheers,
Fenster.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I would agree with Adam. You may want to turn them off to save power when not in use but it would be a very small amount of power. I personally have a couple of them and like everything else on my network they stay on permanently. Almost every device or power supply that has failed on me over the years has been during a power cycle.
Fenster
Rising Star

Thanks Sean, I've connected another computer and turned everything off for that one including the homeplug, all the computer, monitor, etc connecteed to a power strip and that plugged into the passthrough homeplug. I was going to leave the homeplug itself on but the lights would be flashing (it's trying to find the computer) and didn't know if this would cause damage, so turned the lot off. I'll see how it goes  :).