cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home security via broadband

Moggy
Grafter

Home security via broadband

I would be interested in this new service, but if cameras are used does this gobble up monthly allowance? What would be the monthly charge (I don't suppose BT will do this out of the goodness of their hearts). What equipment do I need, who supplies it, will it text me... I'm sure there will be loads more questions..... Oh, is this the right Forum???
5 REPLIES 5
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: Home security via broadband

It's a good enough forum!
I don't have many answers - if you read through on the Thinkbroadband article some of the questions are answered.
I don't know about pricing or how it works bandwidth wise. I'm sure it's not free though, but I will try to learn more in the next week or two.
Ian
Moggy
Grafter

Thanks Ian
puddy
Grafter

I use an ip camera and have had it on a lot in the summer its linked to my web page so I can see whats my cats up to  (sad I know)  when I am out also I can see whats going on at home.
I brought a panasonic ip web camera Less than £60 your wasting money using web/usb camera £10 + the quality very poor.  I just plug the ip camera in to my router and a way you go.  ip camera use very little bandwidth because uploading done much slower so dont worry going over your usage limit
puddy
Mark
Grafter

I happened to come across this offer on Ebuyer tonight while I was looking for something else and immediately thought of this thread and your query.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131020
I can't vouch for the products but the brand name carries a bit of weight and the price point isnt too bad.
Customer reviews seem fairly favourable too.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131020/show_product_reviews
Unfortunately the product page dosnt go into much detail on the camera spec but perhaps the Motorola site might contain more info.
Hope thats of interest to you.
Moggy
Grafter

Thanks Puddy & Mark.
Food for thought for me. Not being very 'Techie' on such things I think I'll need to get help to enable remote viewing but I'm sure that can't be too difficult.
So all I need now is an automatic taser for intruders and I'm set. Cheesy