Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home networking - is it 'safe'?

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Home networking - is it 'safe'?

A friend of the wife's has an old laptop, which she uses for online banking. This is a replacement for a 'blown' desktop.  Her son-in-law set it up, yet when she tried to access the sites she got an expired license warning. I was 'volunteered' to fix it. This was an easy fix, the date on laptop was wrong - by ten years.
Now the problem.  It only has an 18GB hard drive and 500Mb Ram.  Again, I was volunteered to clear off some of the data and increase the Ram. Ram is no problem. However, she wants me to record all data on dvd = but no dvd writer.
I am considering setting up a home network and transferring to my laptop then burning to dvd.  The Old laptop has no anti-virus, and as she has been accessing the internet I am concerned about transferring data to my laptop without adequate protection.
Will my anti-virus scan data that is transferred across a home network? or will it be safe to transfer to dedicated folder and scan the folder after transfer? or will it not be necessary to scan it as I am not actually going to open it, just burn it to dvd then delete?
My anti-virus is Microsoft security essentials, supplemented by malware bytes.
Any suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Home networking - is it 'safe'?

Can you remove the laptop HDD?
Have you got (access/loan of) a caddy?
If yes to the above,.... you could put the HDD in the Caddy, then run your antivirus on the E:/ drive ( or whatever shows up)... Then you could check individual folders, and if "clean", you should be able to do a direct "burn" to your DVD drive from the E:/ caddy drive
Mav
Fixes: 515

With only an 18GB there can't be more data than could easily fit on a 16GB memory stick.
Copy across to the stick then scan when in your PC then burn to DVD.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have used Microsoft Security Essentials to scan a drive on another computer via a network.  But it would be entirely safe to move the folder and scan it afterwards.  Just don't transfer the contents directly into the root of a USB stick then plug it into a computer that is set to run any executable files it finds when a USB stick is plugged-in.  Computer viruses are not living entities.  As with all computer programs, they don't do anything unless you run them.  But some computers run executables automatically under some circumstances.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Quote from: ReedRichards
Just don't transfer the contents directly into the root of a USB stick then plug it into a computer that is set to run any executable files it finds when a USB stick is plugged-in.

Good point. I never put stuff directly into the root folder of a USB stick.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

You should be ok to transfer via the network. Most AV programs have real time scanning shields that scan network file transfers in real time.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks everyone. Smiley
I do have an 8GB stick, and there is 11GB to transfer/burn.So will take that route as I would feel as though I have more control ( psychological, I know).
Gotta love these forums ... so many helpful and knowledgeable people.      Cheesy Thanks.  Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Surely PC's with 18GB drives are much older than PC's with USB?
Why not just use FTP to transfer from machine A to machine B (via ip address).  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Thats a good point even if it does have USB it's likely to be USB 1 not USB 2 so it won't be a fast disk writing operation to the usb drive.
FTP would also be a tad slow too but reliable at least.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

My machine is a 64 bit dual core - but it came with a diskette drive installed (but not connected).  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Cheesy  success
  Cheesy Usb needed only to set up home network.  And as a bonus, which I didn't realise, I was able to scan the older computer with the anti-virus on the newer one over the home network.
Then, again I didn't realise, I was able to burn directly to disk without actually having any data 'touchdown' on the newer PC.
All in all an eye-opener for me.
Thanks again guys