cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home network - need to set one up

f513toy
Grafter

Home network - need to set one up

Now that I have recently broken free of the shackles of ADSL and managed to get a FTTP connection to the house (ADSL = 2Mb/FTTP=90+MB),  I need help getting a home network set up. At the moment, in our house, we have three PC's, one laptop, two Ipod Touch's, four phones, one Archos internet tablet, an internet enabled Samsung TV and blu ray player- so, normal family household with teenagers Roll_eyes  Plus there are all the kids friends that come around with their laptops/gadgets as well!   
All of these access our netgear router wirelessly.
So,  I've been meaning to do this for a time, but I want all these devices to be able to "see" each other and use our one printer (wired to one of the PC's). Also, the TV and Archos, are apparantly able to play whatever media (avi/mp3) files they "see" on the network. Finally, I think I also want to have one hard drive (NAS?) that all the devices can access as well - which I think would need to be wired to the router.
Anyone recommend an easy to follow guide to help me get all this set up?
17 REPLIES 17
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Home network - need to set one up

Go on, give as clue.  Wink
(what OS are the PC's and laptops running?)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

To expand on HP's comment:
In general different versions of Windows handle networking slightly differently so although they can all be made to network together, this won’t necessarily work if you just use the default settings.  Firewalls can also get in the way.  So you need to make a little list of what version of Windows (or other OS) each computer uses, including whether it’s the Home, Professional or whatever version, and what security software (specifically what firewall) each computer uses.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Further expanding on the previous 2 replies you also need to determine if the TV and other network aware devices work with normal filesharing protocols and you'll need to work out how to store your username and passwords in those devices etc.
I can't comment on network drives as I've never used one but if you're using Windows XP and want to share a folder:
Right click on it> Sharing and security>Share this folder>give it a name>Permissions>Allow Full control>Ok>Ok
That should let other WinXP machines at least see that particular folder as a share on the network provided they're all in the same workgroup.
This process then differs further though when you introduce non MS systems so you'll need to do some digging. Best way I've found is simply trial and error. As Reed says though, remember to adjust any firewalls to allow access from other static IPs on your network (I can't count how many times I've forgotten this myself and then spent hours being frustrated).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
magnetism2772
Grafter

ask your local library to locate you
home networking for dummies by kathy ivens
it'll cost you 50p for them to find a copy and to reserve you the book
it covers wireless networking windows xp , security and more
you maybe able to read it online
f513toy
Grafter

Thanks all. Sorry mean't to say the PC's (including the one the printer is connected to) are XP, the Laptop is Vista. I'll see if I can pick up the book! Cheesy
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

The first thing to do is to run the Network Setup Wizard on all your XP PCs.  Follow the step-by-step instruction here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/homenet.mspx
If you change the name of your workgroup from the default "MSHOME" to "WORKGROUP" this will make it compatible with the default name for later versions of WIndows (but you can choose what name you like). 
Also, as you have a shared printer you want to select the option to turn on file and printer sharing.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Plus there are all the kids friends that come around with their laptops/gadgets as well!

and be careful here! sounds like a really good way of getting infected with viruses etc if you allow unknown PC's access to your network

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: ReedRichards
If you change the name of your workgroup from the default "MSHOME" to "WORKGROUP"

MSHOME is only the default for Windows XP Home edition.  Wink
To make things easier make sure all PC's are in the same workgroup (including the Vista one) whatever name you decide on.
And don't be surprised if all the XP machines see whatever you share but that you have "issues" with Vista.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

So you need to make a little list of what version of Windows (or other OS) each computer uses, including whether it’s the Home, Professional or whatever version, and what security software (specifically what firewall) each computer uses.

Unfortunately, f513toy did not pay attention to this request....
Quote from: HPsauce
If you change the name of your workgroup from the default "MSHOME" to "WORKGROUP"

.... so I had to guess that the XP computers were running the Home edition.
7up
Community Veteran

To make things easier make sure all PC's are in the same workgroup (including the Vista one) whatever name you decide on.
And don't be surprised if all the XP machines see whatever you share but that you have "issues" with Vista.

To be honest I'd ignore both bits of advice here (sorry guys no offence) and change your workgroup names to something completely different - IE MyHouse or something.
There is a reason... security and also good practice. You won't go round picking and choosing machines to change the workgroup names on and then wondering why you can't connect to some machines (which may have older or newer names or changed by someone else etc). Just go through every machine and change them all manually.
That way your kids friends will have a slightly tougher time making a mess too Wink (Of course you'll of already firewalled them on your sensitive PCs I would hope ;))
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: okrzynska
To be honest I'd ignore both bits of advice here

I think you've misread... Cool
I certainly didn't advise on what  workgroup name to use, just to make sure it was the same on all Windows PC's.
whatever name you decide on
7up
Community Veteran

I think you've misread... Cool
I certainly didn't advise on what  workgroup name to use, just to make sure it was the same on all Windows PC's.

Fair point, my bad and also my apologies Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is the FTTP bit relevant?
Wouldn't your networking setup be just the same as if you were on ADSL?
(Except for trouble making wireless hardware work at 90Mbps!)

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran

I think he was just trying to show off his new toy Wink