Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home made surround sound system

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Home made surround sound system

My present system is an Audigy 2 card feeding a Creative Inspire 6700 system (6.1 but missing the centre rear as Windows 7 doesn't support it)
Because of a change in the TV system it looks as though I will be able to use a Pioneer VSX-C502 amplifier with a pair of Tannoy Sensys DC1 speakers and these wouldn't need a sub woofer.
I need some cheap rear speakers (only for FPS games) and I wondered if I can use the ones from the Creative set but it looks as though they may have a low impedance (4 ohms perhaps) and the amplifier specifies a minimum impedance of 6 ohms.
Is it worth trying or should I consider getting a couple of cheap speakers such as these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stereo-Satellite-Speakers-2Way-Black/dp/B000IA9MFG/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_i...
The other question is getting the Audigy 2 digital output to work worth a try rather than using the analogue output given that Creative seems to have made it as difficult as possible judging by this http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/accessories/1656.html
Or should I give up the whole idea  Roll_eyes
Edit - I just realised that the motherboard has on board Realtek Audio with an optical output - that solves the problem of the Creative sound card  Grin
3 REPLIES 3
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Home made surround sound system

For a decent amplifier, i don't think it matters as impedance isn't resistive anyway.
I used to have two pairs of 50W 8 ohm speakers plugged into a 100W / channel amplifier - in parallel.
So I suppose the amplifier only saw 4 ohms?
It was quite loud on full power.  Cheesy
BTW Those Amazon speakers claim to be "100W max" but only have a "Item Weight: 2.5 Kg"
External Width:100mm would mean that you can't even get a 4" speaker inside!
I think they are using a dodgy Wattage i.e. not RMS

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Unless it states otherwise I tend to assume that the wattage quoted is "Peak music power" and not RMS
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Could be as low as 10W then.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."