Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Wifi network

rookey
Grafter

Home Wifi network

Hi folks.
Got fibre installed last week
I use wifi full time as I like the freedom so looking into replacing the router that plus net supply with a duel band.
So what router do people suggest to go to the open reach fibre modem and possibly a wifi booster too.
Can I ask if I got a router with a built in modem can this be use in any BT socket in house without having use the opemreach modem?
Many thanks.
21 REPLIES 21
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Home Wifi network

I use a TPlink TD9980 dual band and vdsl (it replaces the BT modem). No real issues with it.
rookey
Grafter

And can that be plugged into a standard BT socket?  As I notice the modem thst the engineer but in use the small jack.  But if I get s new router with modem built in I plan to put it in a different room where there is a standard BT socket and I feel this room is best for the wifi for the house
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

to use a different socket you would need to feed the cable from the MAIN socket as the rest are filtered.
rookey
Grafter

Are you sure?
Why can my mate who with bt can have his bt hub in any socket of the house?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Because they don't have a nice centralised filtered faceplate on their master socket, and probably get a slower broadband speed than they would if they did. That's one of the "features" of not having an engineer visit your premises for the installation.
Quote from: https
Install the service at any point within the premises - although the GEA-FTTC speed may be affected, you and/ or your customers may choose to use microfilters and install their device on any existing extension socket.
rookey
Grafter

In another word I can use any of my sockets. But it best using the master with this faceplate they put in? But it a smaller plug do these all in one router come with smaller plug to fit it?
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Your mate has ADSL, you have fibre, they work differently, and fibre can only work off the main socket.
rookey
Grafter

Nope he on fibre. And he not on main socket
NedLudd
Grafter

Then ask him how it's done!  Roll_eyes
Geoff,
York.
rookey
Grafter

Do BT do it differently
So all of u say it need be in the master socket which goes the small plug for router?
What are power line extenders like?
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Mustrum
Your mate has ADSL, you have fibre, they work differently, and fibre can only work off the main socket.

that's simply not true.
fibre can work off any socket providing the sockets are wired suitably.
rookey
Grafter

Care to expand on this pls
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

expand on what?
as said, fibre works just the same as ADSL in terms of phone sockets.
if you have a a standard master socket without a separate filtered socket then fibre works the same as adsl - ie filters on the end of every socket and the combined fibre modem/router can be connected to any of the sockets.
if it's a new BT master socket with separate filtered socket then the modem/router can be connected to that, or an extension can be run from the pre-filtered socket where the modem/router can be connected to that.
with most ISPs now on the "self install" product, the former (rather than the latter) will become the default method of installation.
rookey
Grafter

I've got the new face plate on the master socket with the extra plug at the top for modem. So I guess I can't have it plugged into the BT socket where my computer is or could I plug I filter into that socket like ADSL if so what type filter pls
dick:quote