Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Plug Advice

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Home Plug Advice

Hi.  Never used Home Plug before, but feel I am going to try them, but I would like an opinion as to if my idea will work.  Currently I have a filtered faceplate connected by CAT5 cable to an RJ11 socket in my office, connected to the router. Router has 3 ethernet connections to 3 RJ45 sockets distributed in the upstairs of the house. I use wireless downstairs.  Master socket is also downstairs. After issues with Syncing, I have come to the conclusion that the CAT5 cable has gone faulty, as my line suddenly became very unstable, but also this could be due to the 21CN line card issues as well. Anyway, this cable due to the layout of the house has to go under the doors, and I think constant walking on this has damaged it, but I have no alternative but to run it under the Carpet door strips.  THe other alternative is to run CAT5 cable up the exterior wall to the loft and distribute from there. What I was going to try was, moving the router next to the master socket, and using a home plug connected to the router, and then another Home plug connected to a switch in the office, with the 3 connections to the RJ45 boxes from the switch.  Can homeplug work like this, and if so, can I use normal Patch cable and not have to bother with crossover. The switch is autosensing AFAIK.  Would welcome any advice..
6 REPLIES 6
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Home Plug Advice

I've not tried that configuration, but see no reason why it should not work.  Cables will all be standard RJ45 - no cross-over cables needed.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

samuria
Grafter

Should work with no problem but the speed may be lower than Cat5 but as you Internet max is 8 meg it wont make any difference. Buy all the plugs at once as there are two standards for these plugs so make sure they are all the same
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Guys.  Not really too fussed regards speed, as long as its resonable. I would expect throughout of around 60-80Mbps with a 200mbps homeplug system, does this sound resonable. All we do on the web, is basically surf, email, bit of video streaming, nothing too taxing.  When I get around to getting it, will let you know how I get on
samuria
Grafter

You may want to take a look at Computer Shopper this month as it has a article on setting up network including home plugs. Make sure you get the right one as I get it delivered and the date is miles in advance of the actual month
pierre_pierre
Grafter

probably the June Copy Cool Cool
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Samuria....  I subscribe to Computer shopper as well.  I got the idea from that issue  Wink
Cheers
Chris