Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Network Problem

nilsatis
Grafter

Home Network Problem

Hi,
After several frustrating hours trying unsuccessfully to resolve my problem, I am hoping that some bright spark on here can help. I received great advice last time I posted - so fingers crossed.
I set up a Homegroup last year when I bought a new laptop. My homegroup is just the desktop (wired) & the laptop (wireless) both running Windows 7 and was primarily to allow printing from the laptop on a shared printer connected to the desktop.
When I tried to print something from the laptop this afternoon, nothing happened. The printer was on but was showing as "Offline" on the laptop but "Ready" from the desktop. Tried removing and re-adding the printer to the laptop but it showed no network printers available. After a bit more checking, the laptop thinks it is on the Homegroup but is not seeing anything else in the group.
I've tried leaving the Homegroup & re-joining but the laptop now says there is no Homegroup to join and invites me to create one - despite just having created a new one on the desktop. So, I created a Homegroup from the laptop and joined it from the desktop. Now the laptop says there are no users in the Homegroup and although the desktop can see the laptop on the network it can't access any shared files.
I don't use the home network very often so I don't know when this problem occurred. The only thing that has changed since it last worked is a new router. My old Netgear router threw in the towel about 2 months ago and has been replaced by a Technicolor. I've been through the router settings but can't see anything obvious.
I've tried everything I can think of or that I can find elsewhere on the internet (including disabling Firewalls) and am now at a complete loss. Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Home Network Problem

Moved to Windows Board as it isn't really a router/broadband problem
Which Internet Security package are you using - the thing to check is whether the network is shown as trusted/local rather than public or something similar - changing routers will have the effect of appearing as a new network to Windows/Firewall etc
nilsatis
Grafter

Apologies for posting in the wrong area, Jim. I should have scrolled down the page a bit further.  Smiley
I am running Avast AV & Zone Alarm firewall on both machines. The network is set to "Home" rather than "Work" or "Public".
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

nilsatis
Grafter

Jim, you are a star.
Using the 2nd link, I found 1 setting in ZA that needed to be changed and now everything is back to normal.  Cheesy
I am eternally grateful and bow to your great wisdom.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

He doesn`t look like his avatar, for no reason !....  Cheesy

A very Wise Old Gentleman.... in every respect    Wink