Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Domain set up

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Home Domain set up

I am wanting to set up a home domain for our house please can someone advise me what to do? 
Reasons why I want a home domain -
- All household members can log onto a computer within the network and access their files
- Each member get a individual login (of their choice)
- Learning task so I learn as I go along
We have this system at my work place and is convenient. 
What equipment do I need to run a successful small home domain with 5 users on.
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
6 REPLIES 6
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Home Domain set up

This link may help:
http://www.elmajdal.net/win2k8/setting_up_your_first_domain_controller_with_windows_server_2008.aspx
The main difference to what I suspect you have now, is the need for one of your machines to be running a Windows Server OS rather than the Desktop variant.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Or is everything running Apple OSX?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Oops, missed the kit list in the OP's sig - Well spotted  Smiley
avatastic
Grafter

Sounds like this will be needed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Open_Directory - but that's as far as I go as I've never done such a thing with OS X before.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I've heard you can join macs to the windows domain so thats a problem solved.  Can the Windows server OS be running on Bootcamp on mac or not? 
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I am running the Mac Mini as a server.  Downloaded a Apple Mountain Lion server which I hadn't heard of before.  It was tricky to set up but all done.  I've created a domain with a proper hostname.  I will be investing in a refurbished PC so both macs are clients to the windows server.  I might not bother with windows. I'll see how I get on.