cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiding IP address

juliasdream
Grafter

Hiding IP address

Does anyone know of effective ways to change or hide my IP address for some sites
My reason for wanting this is that some sites record it and I think some do it for the wrong reasons and I would prefer to apwear anonymous to them
I tried one program I was recommended but it played havoc with my browser disabling parts of web pages. Possibly the java bits
6 REPLIES 6
RobDickson
Grafter

Re: Hiding IP address

Unless you're visiting sites that you don't want the police to know about, I think that the only reason you're likely to have a problem with a website knowing your IP address is if you have a fixed IP address, and the reverse DNS lookup gives your e-mail address. I'm fairly sure that PlusNet has a feature that will stop this being a problem.
Anyway, I think that the answer to your question is to use a "proxy server".
juliasdream
Grafter

Well it wasnt anything so sordid that would interest the police
I have a feeling some sites or something has been tracking my movements
I did some searches on Angelina Jolie
I didnt disclose any of my details on sites that I'd visited
yet ever since I have been inundated with spam such as Angelina Jolie naked and other similar subjects
The sites I had visited were more about her career and films she'd made
Strange dont you think?
Not applicable

Very strange! With regards to the previous comment about reverse DNS ages ago I was using the grc shields up! site and it gave my e-mail address - I was pretty alarmed as I didn't really understand why (still don't)! Anyway, I reported it to Force 9 and they changed it so that now it only reads the IP address.
Might be worthwhile if you check too.
samuria
Grafter

Several solution the main one is go via a proxy server as that requests the webpage and uses its ip so they cant trace you. If its just odd pages you can use http://www.turbohide.com/ that will do it for you or search fro free proxy serves there are 1,00 to choose from.
You can use Torpark from http://www.download.com/Torpark/3000-2356_4-10586817.html to hide your ip. There is software out there that can hide you most is free but can slow web pages to a crawl as they go via half a dozen proxy servers and change every few min to real hide you
Lurker
Grafter

Hiding your IP address is fairly pointless.
It is worth checking what your rDNS record shows (presumably a Comms agent will spot this and take a look for you)
If your rDNS shows your username (and therefore your email domain), its a simple thing for PN to change it to display just your IP.
If your rDNS shows just your IP, there is no way for anybody to associate your IP to an email address.
As an aside, I presume you have your catch-all facility turned on if you are being targeted in this manner, perhaps reviewing this would be a worthwhile step.
RobDickson
Grafter

James_G: Exactly what I tried to say, you just managed it much better than I did.
Samuria: Proxy servers are useful for other reasons, so I'll check out the one you mentioned.