cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden Files

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hidden Files

A couple of months ago, I managed to wipe all of 2 hard drives in my pc, approx 70Gb in total. I didn't do it deliberately. I bought "GetDataBack for FAT", and an external USB hard drive, with which I successfully recovered almost all of my files.
I copied the recovered files back to the hard drives, and all is well, except for one thing. When I run Ad-aware SE or Ad-aware 2007, or AVG Anti-spyware, they go through everything including all the contents of the external drive, but they also find a directory on the external drive called "RECYCLER". After some time working their way through this directory, they stall, not fail, just stop.
I cannot find this RECYCLER directory by using Windows Explorer on this drive, even though I have set Explorer to show hidden files. I have tried getting rid of RECYCLER by deleting all the recovered files on the external drive, but still Ad-aware finds RECYCLER.
Is there anyone who could suggest how to get rid of this directory please? I would like Ad-aware to complete its search when I run it.
Thanks in advance
Graham Penneck
16 REPLIES 16
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Hidden Files

In the folder options / View try unticking "Hide Protected Operating System files (Recommended)"
Jeff
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Try using "search" for recycler instead of Explorer
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for both suggestions.
The "search" didn't find anything, but unticking the "Hide Protected Operating System files (Recommended)" revealed RECYCLER and its contents. Unfortunately, it wont let me delete the contents of RECYCLER. I haven't found a way of getting inside the file listed under RECYCLER. If I could do that I might be able to pick on those files that Ad-aware gets to aqnd stalls.
Any suggestions for that please
Regards
Graham
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you are using XP you could try using BartPE
petermaughan
Grafter

Hello,
I think that Recycler is the Windows Recycle Bin.  Usually there is a pointer on the Desktop to the Windows Recycle Bin.  Click on it to open it and then take the option to "Empty the Recycle Bin".  That should do it.
Peter
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The above will erase the contents of the RECYCLER folder, though as far as I know this is where windows stores files and folders marked for deletion until the recycle bin is emptied (irritating? It is when you have a 20gb hdd mp3 player and delete a load of content, only to realise you have to empty the recycle bin in order to get the space back... especially if you unplug said mp3 player and can't find the files you deleted but still don't have any free space...)
As this is the case, unless there is anything from that drive that you deleted that you desperately want back you'll probably be safe either doing the above or formatting the drive.
Hope that helps,
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: orbrey
(irritating? It is when you have a 20gb hdd mp3 player and delete a load of content, only to realise you have to empty the recycle bin in order to get the space back... especially if you unplug said mp3 player and can't find the files you deleted but still don't have any free space...)

Don't you hold down the shift key when you hit delete?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sometimes, but now I've circumvented the recycle bin entirely via some crazy registry hack that I can't remember... mainly because of the above.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

The Recycle Bin is empty, and the "Empty Recycle Bin" is greyed out.
I need some guidance on using BartPE. I've never heard of it, so I don't know how to use it.
Thanks for your help
Graham
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Have a look here or here for info about BartPE.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Look I'm sorry, but I'm a bit computer illiterate. Well, actually I'm a lot computer illiterate.
I dont see how BartPE would help me solve the problem I am having getting rid of RECYCLER.
Please explain in simple terms - you do this, then you do that, etc.
Sorry
Graham
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Personally, I would just delete RECYCLER - although it might be wise to switch off use of the RECYCLE bin first...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The purpose of BartPE is to create a boot disk which will enable you to access all the Windows files even if they are protected so that you can delete them.
However, given your professed lack of expertise it is probably not a good idea as it is possible to do some real damage.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: petermaughan
I think that Recycler is the Windows Recycle Bin.

This is quite correct and it is a protected system file.
Each hard drive on a PC has one and if you add another drive, recycler.bin is created on it during initialisation.
It is not something you would chose to delete only empty.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine