cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi i really need help

toby123

Hi i really need help

Cheesy
I just got my Plusnet wireless on 20/08/2009 its pluged in the the pc in one room evrything is running ok on this computer but on my lap top it says Plusnetwireless connected , Access: Local only , But when i click to go onto the internet there is a message saying diagnose connection problems.
There is 3 messages 1/ plug a cable into the network adapter ( LOCAL CONNECTIONS)  it works when the yellow cable is pluged in. but when i take it out the internet goes back to the 3 messages
message 2/  automatically get new IP settings for the network adapter, wireless network connections, But when i click on this i get another message saying the problem could not be fixed.
Its also showing signal strength is very good .
I have tried all day and its really doing my head in , The thing is i'm no good with computers.
Any help would be great
14 REPLIES 14
scootie
Grafter

Re: Hi i really need help

welcome to PN and forum.
plenty of people around here to help
can u open command prompt up on your laptop and type .....         ipconfig/all      ...... and paste the info relating to the wireless make sure its trying to use the wireless as above when you do this
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-2A-1F-98-A2
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::69fa:5a4a:fd02:3593%15(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.3(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 19 August 2009 17:03:02
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 August 2009 17:03:02
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 335552042
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-11-7B-7F-ED-00-1A-A0-78-F1-3F
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
pierre_pierre
Grafter

If you are connect with the Ethernet cable, but not the Wireless, have you set the security on your PC, the Router comes with WAP set, the code for the WPA is printed on the base of your router, Note CAPS only (I think)
toby123

Hi thanks for the warm welcome.
sorry this is the first time Ive been able to get onto my PC .
I have a Thomson tg585 v7 .
I will go through your steps to help me get onto the lap top.
It really means a lot to someone who doesn't know about computers .
Sorry again  and thanks for your time and help.
Margie
scootie
Grafter

lap top it says Plusnetwireless connected , Access: Local only

pierre this gave me the impression that the wireless is connected just no internet
pierre_pierre
Grafter

tru I had a bad night got up to early
pierre_pierre
Grafter

with the lap top, via wireless, if you enter 192.168.1.254 in the address bar of your browser, what do you get?  (it should be the router control)
toby123

Hi.
I put this number in and a message said cannot communicate with192.168.1.254 ( Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response.
Window found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically
contact your internet service provider for help or click here for information about things you can try .
A window help and support window has come up .
God its really doing my head in my lap top worked fine with BT it was just the price i didnt like.
When i plug the yellow cable into the lap top it works but as soon as i take it out it stops working..
Thanks for all of your help.
dick:quote
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It would be useful if you could post the results of the ipconfig /all command as Asbo suggested
If you are not sure how to get the information into a post from the command box then type the following
ipconfig /all > configtest.txt
A text file called configtest.txt will be created which you can search for, open and copy and paste into this thread.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
toby123

Hi sorry to be a pain but could you please tell me by steps what i need to do as i don't know about commuters or the INTERNET  all i know is the Dell lap top works when the yellow cable is in put as soon as i put it in the PC again the INTERNET goes off.
God i wish i know about computers.
Shocked
Thanks
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Do you know how to get to the Windows command line?
Click Start, Programs and you should see a black icon somewhere with Cmd next to it.
Click on this.
type
Quote from: Strat
It would be useful if you could post the results of the ipconfig /all command as Asbo suggested
If you are not sure how to get the information into a post from the command box then type the following
ipconfig /all > configtest.txt
A text file called configtest.txt will be created which you can search for, open and copy and paste into this thread.

You can probably find the file configtest.txt by pressing F3 and putting that file name in the box.
Tell it to search your entire C: drive.
When you find it, open the file and copy and paste the details in it  to this forum.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: toby123
it says Plusnetwireless connected , Access: Local only

What this means (in this case) is that your computer detected the wireless signal from your router, tried to establish a connection to it and failed.  View your wireless connections and disconnect this failed connection.  Then restart your computer and start again from scratch. 
toby123

Hi.
Just to let all of you  kind people know i got on my lap  working  today .
I don't know how but I'm really pleased Grin
Thanks so much for your kindness.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Just so you know how to that ipconfig command - can you try it out on your PC - so that you will know what to do if asked for it.  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

toby123

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
Just so you know how to that ipconfig command - can you try it out on your PC - so that you will know what to do if asked for it.  Smiley

I will try .
Thanks evryone on here are great .