cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here we go again. Windows 10 Update crashes PC !

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Here we go again. Windows 10 Update crashes PC !

Have a look at this method of setting an ethernet connection to metered - it's what I use, but MS reset this with the 6month updates and you have to repeat the changes. MS will ignore the "metered" setting for what they consider "essential" updates.

I also have two command files containing:

net start wuauserv     and     net stop wuauserv

to start/stop windows update.

Finally, I also (frequently) use

wushowhide.diagcab

to "hide" selected updates that cause a problem. You can also "show" them again for another attempt, but they usually start the the update process before you have time to hide them so you have to go through at least one failure.

I have just updated 3 instances of W10 by using the latest installation ISO as there was no way they would accept the last update - with each attempt taking over 2 hours of downloading/configuring/reverting.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Just to see what its like, I have just installed Windows Home (its an install choice) on VMware and automatic updates can be stopped via Settings > Update & Security > Advanced Options

Once that is done, you can still choose to update manually.

Also, I think that is better to turn Delivery Optimisations completely as I think that I did screw up one of my updates by leaving it on.

shermans
Pro

Thanks to both PeeGee and DavePlus for their suggestions.  The metered idea is worth trying, but as PeeGee found, I suspect MS will override it. I previously tried the conventional "Advanced Settings" method repeatedly, but MS took absolutely no notice and updated all the time.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@shermans

Have you tried running Services as Administrator, disabling the Windows Update service, and then tried checking for updates?

That stopped it dead for me.

shermans
Pro

Yes, exactly that.  But the Anniversary update overrode it and screwed up my Outlook programme.  I accept that I may be a Luddite, but I had been quite happily using Outlook 2000 prior to the Anniversary update, and everything worked perfectly as it had for 18 years !  Because I depend on Outlook for everything in my life, every letter, calendar, communication, scribble, drawing and, if I had been a Catholic, then probably even my Confessionals !, were all archived in Outlook 2000.  So I was desperate and tried every trick in the book.  I restored the previous version of W10 update several times, but MS promptly reloaded the update each time, no matter what preventative steps I took.  After a month and lots of help from this forum, for which I was very grateful, I finally had to give in and bought four copies of Outlook 2013 on ebay !  Peace and joy returned.  

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Google any Windows Update and you will find some people who report problems with it.  But in my experience of being a computer repairman for hire, these problems are rare, much rarer than update problems used to be.  Who remembers Service Pack 2 for Windows XP and the difficulties that caused?  Now @shermans' problem with Outlook 2000 was real enough but a solution was posted on the thread he started which I was able to make work for a client, even if @shermans did not get it to work.

In my opinion update problems are often a manifestation of an underlying software or hardware problem.  @shermans thought his update had stalled so forced the computer to turn off.  @shermans may have been too impatient but even if he was correct there is no certainty that the same problem will arise again with the same update.  Whilst the computer is back to normal it would be prudent to test the memory and the hard drive, both of which can become unreliable.  But make a backup first!          

shermans
Pro

ReedRichards

Thanks for this comment.  Since I restored to the point prior to the update, all seems to be ok again still.  However, I am not aware that it has tried to update again yet, so the proof of the pudding may have to wait !

You did indeed go to a lot of trouble over Outlook 2000 for me for which I was very grateful, and I am sorry I lost the battle eventually !  As I mentioned, I installed 4 copies of Outlook 2013 on my various bits of hardware, and I have no regrets; it all works.  However, all the new ribbons and over-sophistication I still hate !  Old Outlook was so much more straightforward and yet had all the same functionality !  I think I read somewhere that one can actually load a "Classic" Outlook UI but I have not looked for it.  It would be nice to try.

As for the first crash - the computer was left on all night before I turned it off.  The screen went blank the first time after about ten minutes - I then left the computer on all night before I finally pulled the plug on it next morning.  Only the fan motor was running, nothing else.  However, for some reason, I have often experienced the fan never turning off in "Stand-by" and getting hot, but if that happens it will not re-start no matter what, and I have to take the battery out to stop it, put it back in and re-start.  As a result, I always remove the battery unless I am travelling, and I never use "Stand-by" - either I turn it off or I use "Hibernate".  I know this is a phenomenon experienced by others but I have never found a cure on Google.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@shermans, I think for the long term you made the right decision to invest in newer copies of Outlook, given your extensive use.  It is indeed possible to download a "classic-look" toolbar.  I have a copy but don't remember where it came from; it was a third party, not Microsoft.

Some computers, a minority, seem to struggle with Sleep ("stand-by" - as you call it).  If you don't have the latest BIOS installed then updating that could possibly help but otherwise, in my experience, you have to accept the problem and work around it.