cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's the thing with unity!

Walter
Rising Star

Re: Here's the thing with unity!

Well I could never understand what all the fuss was about, instructions are very clear how to load an alternative desktop and how to configure things to suit yourself. You can put icon links on the desktop if you want, if you dont know the name of an app just enter the search for what it does and it will give all the links.  I use 10.4 Gnome, 12.4 and 12.10 Unity plus Android touch screen too, they are all slightly different but no problem to use at all and no comercial pressure  🙂
CX
Grafter

My biggest complaint is the microscopic 1-pixel wide window border, with no easily apparent way of increasing it (although this is an issue in the theme Ubuntu chose for 12.04 even when using the Gnome Classic shell). Try resizing a window with a target that small. Ridiculous, and somehow that passed usability testing.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Cor!!!
There's a horrendous example at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=107256.16;num_replies=31

My main problem with Unity was not resizing Windows, but simply recalling the name of the application which would cause a window to open in the first place.
Most Linux programs are not English words.
I wonder how these flash gits manage with their expensive smart phones that are infected by "apps"?
Oh yes:-
Why does Unity only have one menu bar that can't make it's mind up which program it's controlling?
And those yucky scroll bars...
And those stupid "windicators"...
I expect there is a lot more faults which have been inserted since I swapped over to Mint.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Ben_Brown
Grafter

Quote from: CX
My biggest complaint is the microscopic 1-pixel wide window border, with no easily apparent way of increasing it...Try resizing a window with a target that small.

I've not tried unity (my preferred window manager doesn't have any borders at all either) but does the 'classic' X11 style window resize work? That is to hold down 'Alt' then the right mouse button and drag the window to whatever size you want. Alt and left mouse button should move it around too.
CX
Grafter

Yes, that ends up being the simplest way to do it (I seem to remember that it works in Unity too).
CX
Grafter

Things like this are enough to put you off Unity:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-appmenu/+bug/999827
I ran into this today on Ubuntu 12.04. I have no idea why yet, because I haven't made any changes to the system between it working and now breaking.