Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's a bizarre one for ya...

Vega
Rising Star

Here's a bizarre one for ya...

Ok, this is wierd.
My pc is connected to my Netgear DG834G Router via ethernet cable. Of late I have been loosing my internet connection everytime the pc is left idle for a little while. No email acess, no website access and antivirus cannot update etc etc. The wierd thing is, the network tray icon on the desktop says its still connected to the 100mbs network (ie router) but I cannot even connect to the router through firefox (or IE8) by typing 192.168.0.1
Here is the real head killer....   I sometimes connect to my home pc with remote desktop, if I leave it for a while and reconnect to it later, it lets me log in fine, however same thing happends, network icon showing but.. no email or internet available on my home pc (Even though I am connected to it via Remote Desktop!!! )
I have unticked the option in my ethernet adaptor which allows windows to turn it off to save power (Not that it could possibly be that as a powered down network adaptor certainly wouldnt allow me to connect to the pc via RD!)
[As a side-note, a simple reboot re-establishes an internet connection but the problem obviously rears its head again after being idle]

Any idea's anyone? Im flummoxed  Embarrassed
Matt
4 REPLIES 4
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Here's a bizarre one for ya...

What OS is it?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I once had the same symptoms - turned out to be an obscure setting in ZA Free.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Vega
Rising Star

Its office XP Pro. I dont have any third party firewall software installed. Windows firewall is enabled
Denzil
Grafter

A  few suggestions - all standard stuff.
Check you have the latest drivers installed for your network card.
Do you have a separate PCI network card or is it built in to the motherboard? It could be worth trying a new card - they are very cheap. E.g. this one.
Try a new network cable. Could be you have a dodgy connection that works intermittently.
Does your router have more than one network port? If so, try one of the others.