Ping [username].plus.net
Ping request could not find host [username].plus.net
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Here is a challenge !

I tried both and got these replies :

Yes, I think strat might have made a little typo there , its [username].plus.com I think...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Right, with Ping [username].plus.com, you get the same message - could not find host.
With Ping www. [username].plus.com, you get my Plusnet website.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Right, with Ping [username].plus.com, you get the same message - could not find host.

Sounds like it doesn't work on dynamic IP's then...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Shame Cry
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'll find out what make/model my colleague has when I get into the office tomorrow.

He has a Panasonic one, bit more expensive than the one you are looking at , something like £200 Roll_eyes

shermans
Pro

MisterW
Thanks for that info.  I have decided that £49 will not break the bank and is worth trying.  I will order one and let you know how I get on - it will take about three weeks to arrive.  If it is no good, then I can afford to put £49 down to experience, but not £200 !
Thanks again for everyone's advice and comments.  I will keep you posted.
artificer
Grafter

is there no one sufficiently friendly living nearby who would keep an eye on the place?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If static v dynamic IP is the only issue then you might be able to use dyndns or similar: http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
KenA
Grafter

Here's another possible solution to the problem of the IP address changing when you power cycle the router...
I have a Netgear router which has the ability to email the router log daily.  You need to configure the router in France to email you a log daily, perhaps to a webmail or to your UK Plusnet email address.
Now, when you open that email, you can look at the "internet header" which shows, among other things, the IP address of the originating node (and every intermediate node too).  So you just look at the first of these and it will show you the current IP address allocated to the router.
Most email programs can display the internet header, for example using Microsoft Outlook 2003, you open the email, select View / Options and the internet header is shown.  The originating IP address is the last entry, like this one - I set the IP address to 99.99.99.99 just to illustrate the detail.
Received: from mx.ironport.plus.net (HELO relay.ptn-ipout02.plus.net) ([84.92.2.97])
  by mx.ptn-ipin02.plus.net with ESMTP; 11 Jan 2010 10:44:04 +0000
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result: ApwMAPuPSkvUnw4U/2dsb2JhbACCNY1RAYo8rzGBYgEBB4lMgkYBAYFnBA
Received: from pih-relay08.plus.net ([212.159.14.20])
  by relay.ptn-ipout02.plus.net with ESMTP; 11 Jan 2010 10:44:02 +0000
Received: from [99.99.99.99] (helo=unknown)
by pih-relay08.plus.net with esmtpa (Exim) id 1NUHkf-0006Xh-M2
for name@username.plus.com; Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:44:01 +0000
Date: Mon,11 Jan 2010 10:44:01 -0000
shermans
Pro

Wenn es das neueste Technologie ist, wieso gibt’s ein “Alt“ Taste?

Because the old is usually more reliable than the new ! Grin
Anyway...... That's an interesting possibility.  The problem is that my router is a Tiscali "Alice Box" which I bought on e-Bay in France second hand, thinking it was an "Orange Live Box".  Why do they insist on having similar names ?  As my ISP is the disastrous Orange, I have no Orange instructions for it, and I had to "knife and fork" it to get it to work, which I did successfuly three years ago as the result of kind help from this very forum !  I have got some instructions in French for it off the web - it is actually an Hitach AH4021 - which  I have read through, but there does not appear to be an email facility of the nature which you describe.  The difficulty is that it is written half in French and half in English !
The new IP webcam, however, evidently does have an email facility, but I will not know how it works until I receive it.
In the meantime, I am trying to prepare for it.  But I must admit to having difficulty trying to understand concepts.  Even if I know the IP address of the wifi modem, how do I access the IP webcam's address ?  If I enter the IP address of the wifi modem, I only reach the wifi modem itself, not the webcam.  How do I tell it to forward me to the IP address of the webcam ? That is what is puzzling me.
I have provisionally subscribed to dyndsn.com as an experiment, and fed their service with my IP address obtained from "What is my IP?"  But that of course is again only the IP address of the wifi modem, not of the computer which I am using.  So I only reach the wifi modem.  Presumably, I have some sort of sub IP address like 192.162.1.35, but how do I tell dyndsn.com  that I want to access 192.168.1.35 and to forward my commands to 192.168.1.35 ?  I am very confused but I imagine that I have to put some settings into my "Alice Box", and also make sure that the webcam address is static.
Altenatively, having reached the router, is there a way that I can then enter a command which allows me to access the LAN ?
I am a slow learner, but when I understand, it usually sticks.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Presumably, I have some sort of sub IP address like 192.162.1.35, but how do I tell dyndsn.com  that I want to access 192.168.1.35 and to forward my commands to 192.168.1.35 ?  II am very confused but I imagine that I have to put some settings into my "Alice Box", and also make sure that the webcam address is static.

Absolutely correct. DynDns only has information on your Public IP, your Webcam is allocated a private IP addess, like 192.168.1.xx on your local LAN. You then tell the router to forward all incoming requests on the port that the Webcam uses ( typically 80 ) to the Webcam private IP. Have a look at http://portforward.com/ it gives some info on how to port forward with most routers.
You are correct in that you need to allocate a static IP to the WebCam to do the port forwarding with most routers. It is possible that the Webcam may do the necessary forwarding using UPnP if both it and your router support it.

shermans
Pro

Great.  Once again, many thanks for the clarification.  The link for port forwarding is exactly what I needed.  Now things are much clearer.
Cheesy
Again, many thanks.
shermans
Pro

I said that I would update you on how I got on with the IP camera.
Well, the first one (unbadged) arrived from China in less than a week.  But it was troublesome from Day 1 !  It had a USA power supply with a UK adapter that did not work - they acknowledged they had had problems with them !  I managed to find an old power lead which fitted US plugs.  The instructions were appalling - chinese English, all on CD but without any indication as to which set of instructions referred to the model camera which I had.  I eventually got it working on ethernet, but the WiFi never worked satisfactorilly - despite the quality seals, the antenna socket was very loose.  Then the remote tilt motor stopped working.  By this time, I had had enough and asked for a refund.  The Chinese agreed and when asked, also agreed to pay the return postage.  So really I cannot grumble too much.
Foolishly, I decided to try again, but this time from a Hong Kong supplier.  It arrived within three days ! Same camera evidently, but in a different box.  It looked identical but a different finish.  This time there was a separate instruction leaflet and it had a proper UK plug on the power supply.  They also supplied a network cable with it, unlike the last one.  And it became clear from the instructions that, though unbadged, this is the same camera as usually carries the "FOSCAM" name - quite a well known brand.
So I set it up, and bingo!, everything works as it is supposed to do.  The WiFi has a limited range but that could be due to my old Linksys router - I get limited range with my laptop, even though I have fitted an extra antenna.  But it does everything I could have asked for, including IP forwarding (to dyndsn.org), sending a warning email or uploading an image using FTP if it is being used as a movement detector, and enabling two-way communication - the microphone is o.k. but the internal speaker is inaudible, although there is an external socket to connect headphones / external speaker.
So for £50, I have no complaints and it solves the problem for me - I also bought, for £3.50, a dual-sensor thermometer which I will keep by the side of the boiler.  It displays the internal temperature and has a sensor on a wire which runs outside to record the external temperature.  The camera resolution is easily good enough to see the readings.  The camera has IR lights and the image is surprisingly good, but not good enough to read the thermometer display, so light will be needed for that.
I am intrigued.  Many thanks to all who proferred advice. Grin Grin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Many thanks to all who proferred advice.

You're welcome, I'm happy to hear that the IP Camera works for you.