petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Help!

Just done a system restore.
When finished at Windows logon with correct password got:
The User Profile Service service failed to logon
User profile cannot be loaded.
Any idea please? cannot get past the password stage.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES 5
gtowen
Rising Star

Re: Help!

Just googled the error message and got this :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215
Hope it helps Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I hate go round in circles but that problem is usually fixed by a System Restore (to an earlier date).
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

System restore is pretty much only a temporary fix though, I've never found it to work for much longer than a few weeks before other problems start cropping up.
Try logging in with safe mode and see if that works. As long as you can log into some sort of account somehow, it may be worth running comboFix to restore things properly.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
picbits
Rising Star

As above - try Safe Mode or logging in with another account on the machine. I always have a spare Admin account in case my normal account gets corrupted.
If this doesn't work then System Restore and keep an eye on the automatic updates in case that is causing problems. Also run a hard drive scan for errors including a surface scan - it takes time but it's worth it.
If you still can't get in then boot from a Live Linux CD/DVD (Knoppix / Ubuntu / Hirens) and recover your data before reinstalling Windows.
petlew
Pro

I'm obliged to you gentlemen, and pleased to say all seems to be Ok now following a lengthy "System Repair" which actually finally reported that it couldn't repair one fault, but this seemed unrelated to the fault that was effecting my problem and doesn't seem to be causing any other problems. And no! I can't remember what that fault was.
Fortunately I was able to follow your suggestions on my "other" PC.
One thing I didn't mention; was that the fault was first noticed when I was trying to send emails in Thunderbird and ran into reported failure errors. I was able to receive mail but not send them. This followed my cat jumping on to my keyboard and pressing numerous keys. From that point I went for a two day old "Restore" all seemed Ok until I tried to log back in (see OP) although it didn't at the time cure the send failures, but the System Repair did.
Thanks again.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.