cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with wi fi connections

Gram0707

Help with wi fi connections

Please be forewarned, with regards internet technicalities & terms, I’m a complete ignoramus.

I have a basic broadband & phone deal through Plusnet- no problem there. However, being away from home two days per week, over the past few years, I’ve been using BT- with Fon wi-fi- at a cost of approximately £3.50 per day/pass. The connection has always been ropey- though just about manageable, & I’ve had little incentive to look elsewhere.

However, of late, the connection has been almost unobtainable- to the point of irritation, so I’m looking for alternatives. Many other connection options pop up, though most appear to require a code. My laptop no longer automatically connects to the BT options- unless I place it in the corner of a bedroom- & then only intermittently.

Bearing in mind I use this connection just two days per week, & have no wish to pay for another full contract- through the existing BT phone line- at the property I visit, can anyone suggest my cheapest option for two days of use? Does Plusnet have any wi-fi options? Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Help with wi fi connections

If you are not using a huge amount of data then your best bet could be to use the mobile network. What do you use broadband for?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Gram0707,

Thanks for getting in touch. We don't offer any services that are similar to BT WiFi with Fon I'm afraid.

Dependent on how much data you use during the two days, I'd recommend either going with mobile data as suggested by @Baldrick1 or alternatively setting up another landline/broadband account at this property.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Gram0707

I use the internet for e-mails, ebay, Facebook & browsing websites over 12-15 hours per day- so it gets a lot of use.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I think that type of usage would be classed as minimal and could easily be done on using mobile data. If you were streaming 4K videos 12 hours a day that would be considered to be a lot of use.Smiley

Gram0707

No, I don't do films & videos- it's mostly business & research.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Plan B

How about switching off your normal wireless and use an external WiFi adapter such as this to connect to the BT service.  An example:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-SuperSpeed-Wireless-detachable-frequency/dp/B015Z8EWGY/ref=pd_vtph_bs_t...

If necessary you could put it in a plastic bag and hang it out of the window. You could use a USB extension cable if necessary.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

I'd say the mobile data is the way to go here-and probably moving on too.

If I remember rightly BT Fon is essentially provided through other BT customers routers-used to be openzone. If that customer has broadband problems however it'll also bother your connection- and there will be nothing you can do about it. Plus if they move it'll disappear anyway.

I'm not even sure how it's still running at that price anyway. £7 a week? My mobile tariff gives me 6GB of data, plus unlimited calls, texts and the phone itself and I pay £30 and change. Only reason I have that much is because it was £1 to go from 3GB to 6

For the OP usage that would be way more than necessary-i probably browse around the net, check emails etc maybe an hour or two every day and I don't think I've ever exceeded 1.5GB usage-average 1GB. I reckon you'd be able to get on a SIM only deal for easily less than £15.

In fact a quick google-plusnet look to have a 2.5GB SIM deal for £7.50 a month. Be worth a look. Save money and you can chase it if there are problems
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

If you can get a 4G (or at least a 3G) mobile signal, that is the way I'd go. Plusnet have some reasonable deals, but the best I know of for data is Three's £18 per month SIM only deal that comes with unlimited minutes and texts and 30GB of (tethered) data. Just use you mobile phone as a hot-spot and you're in business anywhere you can get a signal. Works across the EU and a few other places too.

If you need more data than 30GB, there is a 100GB data only SIM deal available too (no phone/texts) - I use that to load-balance my (slow) Plusnet connection.