cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with error message

jimbo99
Dabbler

Help with error message

Trying to share file between my windows xp desktop and vista home premium lap top my lap top sees the files i have shared on the desktop but get this message when i try to open the files:"\\jims\ hdd(c) is not accessible. you might not havepermission to use the network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permisions. not enough server storage is avaliable to process this command".Iam using a netgear dg834pn wireless router conecting to the internet is fine. Also cannot see shared files from my lap top on my desktop is a setting in xp or vista that i need to change? Thanks for any help
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Help with error message

You could try a google for vista & xp file sharing, there ar a lot of people in the same boat.
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistasharing.htm might offer some help.
File sharing in Vista changed making it by default not able to access XP shares. One this you must have is a password set on you XP PC and the same password on your Vista PC. You also have to alter the Vista firewall to allow access.
God
Grafter

I get this error reported on my vista box if I try to access shared files on the XP system partition but not if I access files on a non sytem partition, security related?
samuria
Grafter

From the beginning you need to share a folder on each pc (unless you are using c$)
To make life simple you need the same username and password on both pc's and login with that account.
On xp you need to untick use simple file sharing in explorer/tools folder options/view.
you need to set both pc to accept the local lan as trusted in the firewall. You may need to tick the extra box's to let everything through like ping etc.
make sur eunder exceptions file and print sharing is ticked
Can you now ping each pc from the other?
Can you see the shares in the network?
Check permisions on the shares and let every one have access.
try connecting via the command line
net use p: \\ pcs ip\sharename password /user:username
so it would be like this
net use P: \\10.0.0.2\c$ password /user:fred
this would give you access to drive c:
Any problems turn off the firewalls and AV as some av block ports as well