Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Netgear WN1100 wireless Adapter

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Help with Netgear WN1100 wireless Adapter

Hi Guys,
I am not sure if this the right forum to ask help with this Wireless adapter.
I have had this adapter working nicely since installed with its Netgear driver in May/June this year; until two days ago.  The wireless signal is hovering between VERY GOOD and EXCELLENT.  SSID is recognised and the connection occurs.  However, at end of this process I get !-symbol on the Wi-Fi ICON in the tray giving me a message that there is limited or no connectivity with internet.  Digging further with Wireless Connection Status and openning the support tab I get following values:
Physical Address: E0-91-F5-4B-C6-D4
IP address: 169.254.0.0
Default Gateway: this is blank
DNS Server: This is blank
WINS Server: This is blank.
I cannot make any sense of this and I am not sure if the above values are correct and I do not know how to go about to get correct values for the above. I believe, there is some setting within the windows XP Pro (SP3) which may have been upset and I have no idea of how and where to look for the correct procedure to make it work.
Can anyone with valued knowledge help out with step-by-step procedure?  Smiley
Incidentally, I have already uninstalled the driver -> restarted the desktop -> reinstalled the driver.  Still NO JOY.  Angry
Thanks in Advance.
Chandu.
47 REPLIES 47
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Help with Netgear WN1100 wireless Adapter

I'm betting that you have no wired access either.
Have you changed your Plusnet password in the last couple of days?
Have you changed the router password so it corresponds?
BTW in your manual it says:-
Connection
status      • Connected to Internet.       The wireless Internet connection is OK.
           • Connected to Router.         The wireless connection to the router is OK, but the router is not connected to the Internet.
                                          169.254.x.x or ___.___.___.___. The wireless connection to the router is OK, but there is a problem with the router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

chandu
Rising Star

Quote from: A
I'm betting that you have no wired access either.

Thank you Fox is Evil for your prompt response.  Yes, you are correct in saying that.  However, I can take the borrowed Laptop to the router which is plugged in the test socket at present and can connect to the router via ethernet.
Have you changed your Plusnet password in the last couple of days?
Have you changed the router password so it corresponds?

No, I have not changed my plus net password.  Everything works fine wirelessly with my borrowed Laptop with Win 7 and I am currently using it to see and add to the forum posts.
No, router password is still the same with the same SSID.
Having said that, every month on my Desktop with Win XP Pro, which is using the Wireless Adapter, I am asked automatically to change my password.  I just renew the password (the same password every month) and merrily carry on.  Since last update of this password on Win XP, things have got upset.  Does this help?
BTW in your manual it says:-
Connection
status      • Connected to Internet.       The wireless Internet connection is OK.
           • Connected to Router.         The wireless connection to the router is OK, but the router is not connected to the Internet.
                                          169.254.x.x or ___.___.___.___. The wireless connection to the router is OK, but there is a problem with the router.

I do not know what you mean by the above!!   Sad  Sorry, please do elaborate. Thanks.
Regards and await your feedback,
Chandu.
jim:green quote tag fixed mod:end
VileReynard
Hero

You need to see what a Windows expert has to say; the bit about 169.254.x.x means that you can "see" the router correctly, but you cannot make a proper connection all the way to Plusnet with it.
I'm sure they can disable that 7 day password for you too.
It is likely that they will ask you to type into a command entry screen something like
ipconfig \all
but I could be wrong.
I haven't seriously used XP for several years.

chandu
Rising Star

Thanks, Fox is Evil.
What worries me is that the Mods have moved this OP from the Software to Hardware, and I doubt if experts in Software will look at this issue.
I wonder if it would be possible to ask the mods to move this post/s to Software section!!!!  Wink
Regards,
Chandu.
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: chandu
Digging further with Wireless Connection Status and openning the support tab I get following values:
Physical Address: E0-91-F5-4B-C6-D4
IP address: 169.254.0.0
Default Gateway: this is blank
DNS Server: This is blank
WINS Server: This is blank.

When you get to this stage, click the Repair Button and hopefully your PC will get the right info for Default Gateway and DNS / WINs Servers.
Is your Wireless Adaptor setup to obtain IP Address and DNS Server Address automatically?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

we certainly will move it  if needed.
However can you post the results of ipconfig /all first
To do that open a command prompt and type it in - note the space between ipcofig and /all
You should get something like this in part - note that this is a wired connection
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-4D-59-68-29
  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
  Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
  Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3075:bb5f:9d3d:1bc4%10(Preferred)
  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2(Preferred)
  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
  Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 22 November 2011 10:07:46
  Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 25 November 2011 10:07:46
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
  DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
  DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234887757
  DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-72-15-1D-00-1A-4D-59-68-29

One possibility is that the wireless adapter has partly died which I think is why it was moved here
Is it possible to try a wired connection and see if that works

chandu
Rising Star

Thanks Mr. T. for your prompt response.  Much appreciated.
Quote from: MrT
When you get to this stage, click the Repair Button and hopefully your PC will get the right info for Default Gateway and DNS / WINs Servers.

Yes, done that several times and end up with a message that "Windows is unable to repair"
Quote from: MrT
Is your Wireless Adaptor setup to obtain IP Address and DNS Server Address automatically?

Yes, checked that Windows Wireless Configuration is set to 'Automatic'.
Regards,
chandu
Rising Star

Thanks OldJim for the offer.  Much appreciated.
Quote from: Oldjim
However can you post the results of ipconfig /all first
To do that open a command prompt and type it in - note the space between ipcofig and /all

Here is the result of ipconfig:
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Netgear WNA1100N150 Wireless USB adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :E0-91-F5-4B-C6-D4
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
  That is it.  Nothing like your, I am afraid.
Is it possible to try a wired connection and see if that works

Afraid, Adam Walker & Matt are doing some tests, so the router is in Test Socket near the front door and my Desktop is some 25-30m away from the router and The desktop is too big to fit in near the front door.  Hence the panic about the wireless adapter malfunction.  Sad
One possibility is that the wireless adapter has partly died.

Yes, and the other possibility is the USB Port has gone.
Any help will be appreciate.  Thank you all in advance.
Chandu.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I didn't realise it was a USB adapter - they are notoriously flakey
Can you try the front USB port on the PC as that normally comes from a different set of ports on the motherboard
If you go into Device Manager does Universal Serial Bus controllers show anything as being adrift
What your ipconfig is showing is that it isn't seeing the router at all
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

All your symptoms are consistent with the computer having the wrong wireless password (/key).  I know that does not seem possible but just to be on the safe side, delete your wireless settings then start again, find your wireless network, click connect and re-eneter the password (/key). 
chandu
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim
I didn't realise it was a USB adapter - they are notoriously flakey

That's fine Oldjim.  Just a thought could it be that the PC's Power Supply Unit is losing its juice?
Can you try the front USB port on the PC as that normally comes from a different set of ports on the motherboard

Sorry, I have only 2 USB ports and both are at rear of the case.
If you go into Device Manager does Universal Serial Bus controllers show anything as being adrift
What your ipconfig is showing is that it isn't seeing the router at all

Just done this, but with the Wireless Adapter removed.  There are two items under USB (1. Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB and 2. USB Root Hub) and neither of them have any yellow ? on them.  So, it appears that the USB is okay.
Oldjim, interigueing part is that the adapter recognises the SSID from the router.
Hope the above helps to find a solution to sort the issue.  Many thanks.
Regards
Chandu.
chandu
Rising Star

Quote from: ReedRichards
All your symptoms are consistent with the computer having the wrong wireless password (/key).  I know that does not seem possible but just to be on the safe side, delete your wireless settings then start again, find your wireless network, click connect and re-eneter the password (/key). 

Thanks ReedRichards.  I have done this several times including uninstalling the device driver (just in case the driver had been corrupted) on the PC.  But no joy. 
It is possible that I may have done this incorrectly.  So, appreciate if you can send me step-by-step procedure to this.
However, what I have not done so far is to access the router and reset the SSID and the encription key on the wireless side of the router.  Do you think this will help?  What puzzles me is that the laptop I am using for this posting works fine with router being some 14 metres away.
Will appreciate your suggestion/s to sort this issue.
Regards,
Chandu.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: chandu
what I have not done so far is to access the router and reset the SSID and the encription key on the wireless side of the router.  Do you think this will help?

Well it will help if it is a wrong password problem but not otherwise. 
VileReynard
Hero

If you have access to another PC, it can show all the nearby SSID's for you.
Passwords will be case-sensitive.
If you really want to prove it's not password related, try removing all encryption (at your own risk).